1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bullet Camera Recording

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by porto99, Sep 19, 2005.

1. porto99

porto99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to get a bullet camera and attach it to your helmet and then connect it to a (solid state) device for recording.

I have a Sony Camcorder DCR-HC22E but this does not have an a/v input. I how know I should have bought the HC32 model.

Note the HC22 have iLink DV input/output if thats any help.

This is for a hiking holiday and recording mountain bike routes.

Many thanks.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You can get little wireless cameras on Ebay, complete with receivers which have a composite video output, but of course both will need a power supply, and very few DV camcorders have a composite video input.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    How long have you had the DCR-HC22E and where did you buy it from? Some retailers such as Jessops offer a 30 day money back guarentee and would therefore offer you the option of upgrading to the HC32. With a bit of haggling you may get away with the upgrade even after the 30 days, as long as it is not too long since you bought the camcorder.

Any video recording device (solid state or otherwise) with an analogue input can be used with a bullet cam. Many MP3 HDD players can now also record video, so this 'might' be an option, although I'm not sure if they can record live video from a camera. Just don't expect any solid state recorders to be great quality as they all use very high compression rates.
    I have never seen a firewire bullet cam, so I don't think there is any way of connecting one up to your HC22E.

Mark.

4. porto99

porto99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the camcorder back in April, so way passed the 30 days point.

I just thought that someone may know of a work around.

Thanks anyway.

5. penfold77

penfold77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There are plenty of options you can go for on the bullet camera.
    http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/helmet_cameras.htm or
    http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/index.html
    are both good options.
    As far as the recording device, I'm not sure what you can do. I'm on the lookout for a DV cam with a composite input, but on the Dog Cam site there is this page http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/avcamcorders.htm which lists lots of options for you.
    You can use a hard drive based system, but the picture won't be as good, but at least it will be in a digital form already and compressed.

6. porto99

porto99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did a search of the sites you quoted.

I found Pocket Video Recorder AV400 for £299, are they a cheeper option. Or are they any miniDV recorders?

I think I would like to record the bullet cam image onto something until I upgrade my camcorder to one with a/v input.

Thanks Porto.

7. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The AV 400 series have good screens and are flexible as they can be used as photo storage(compact flash transfer),MP3 player,video player.
    You will need the Archos travel cable to transfer footage from the bullet cam.
    I sold one on this forum a short while ago so look around for second hand models.