1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bullet camera/recorder question

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Spenny_B, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Spenny_B

Spenny_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chaps,

First post, so I thought I'd make it a "good-un"!!....I'm looking to buy a setup that enables me to record in-car footage for my (and friends) racecars

I've done a whole lotta searching on various sites for info re bullet cams, and have settled on one from RF Concepts RF Concepts , a Sony 3CCD jobbie (21CWSHRX), which looks to be exactly what I'm after...however....

I have a Canon MV30 camcorder (not an "i" model) which has both DV-Out and AV-Out. I know you can get a "Cano-Widget" which essentialy hacks the cameras firmware to enable the DV-In function, but for bullet-cams, you need AV-In.... :suicide:

Now, unless somebody knows how I can overcome this problem (camera's only been used a handful of times, dammit), it looks like I'll need to buy either another camera, or just a recording device with the necessary inputs. Obviously, the cheaper solution would be preferable, but if not, then "Plan B"...

So far, I've seen devices like the Archos personal D-Video recorders/players. I don't really need another camera per-se, as it'll be connected up to the bullet-cam, but I do need to make sure (despite the manufacturers marketing blurb) that it can accept a standard RCA (or BNC) AV-In signal, ie., frame-rates will be okay, etc, etc. This is a PAL setup, btw.

Any other ideas/experiences/recommendations??? For approx £300, it looks as though I can get a new Canon MV750i camcorder, but it's too OTT for what I need, plus a dedicated MP4 recorder will give me a gadget for transferring pics from digi camera, and a music jukebox, a-la iPod.

Cheers guys,

Spen.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well I've just had a look Here and it states 'There is no facilities for analogue inputs on above models' and your cam is one of those listed :thumbsdow . So I'm afraid its on to another recorder.

Mark.

3. Spenny_B

Spenny_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Mark. I've since had a conversation with the company who makes the "Widgets" that hack the F/W on the camera's, and he said the same.

So....two options, either buy a Digital-8 camera for not-a-lot and then get a widget to enable everything, or...

...go the "new technology" route and venture into the realms of the Archos AV300/AV400 range. They look nice bits of kit, but I'm just worried about the max frame-rates they can record at...AVI 30 fps @ 512x384. Looking in my manual for the Canon camcorder, it has a Progressive Scan mode which records at 25fps.

Is 30fps adequate/more than okay/too low?....as you can prob tell, not that experienced with movie-making!

Cheers again,

Spencer

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well you should be able to pick up a good s/h camcorder with AV-in for not too much money. Stick with a DV cam as they are smaller with more choice. Also DV is more or less the consumer standard for todays camcorders. There are many cams available out of the box with AV-in enabled, just check the specs before you buy. Find a good price for one on the internet and then Jessops will pricematch it for you as long as it is a UK web site. You can then connect the bullet cam to make sure it works before you buy.

I had a quick look on a web site and the only connection mentioned for the Archos AV400 was USB, so you would need a bullit cam that connects via USB to use it. I would not like to guess as to how good the PQ would be with these either as MPEG-4 is highly compressed video format than can often be very poor quality (but not always).

Mark.

5. BruceB

BruceB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

This is also my first post (maybe this bullet cam thing is only done by newbies?) and as such I'm sort of out on a limb here....

I'm wondering whiether I can set up my bullet cam to record on the move? My camcorder Sony TRV265 supports av-out and dv in/out.

At the risk of repeating the previous post, anyone got any ideas, or alternatively a list of camcorders that DO support AV-in? I am sure some kind soul must have documented this somewhere but I can't find it......

Funnily enough, the big manufacturers don't seem to shout about this connectivity, presumably because they don't seem to support it!

Bruce

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Not so much a newbies but more a specific task that not many people have a need of!

No AV-in means you can't connect a bullit cam to it :(

Problem is that camcorder models change at such a fast rate you would never be able to keep up to date with any type of list.
    Don't expect AV-in to be on the cheapest of camcorders, but once you get up to around the £400 range you do start to get AV-in. With a very quick look on www.pricerunner.co.uk I found the Sony DCR-HC 42 for £407.99 that has AV-in. There may well be others that are cheaper, but I haven't had a chance to check them all out.

Mark.

7. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Spenc, the 30 fps is an NTSC standard (US spec) 25fps is yer common an garden PAL (Uk spec) :lesson: so it really depends on where you are, your target audience etc. as to what capture rates you use.
    Brum

8. BruceB

BruceB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As it turned out (the much shorter version of a long story) this is what happened.

I found a personal video recorder ("JoyCoder") which accepts AV-in and in theory was just perfect.....160 quid and did what it said.

It all worked fine in the skilift on the way up, but........when I got to the top I just got a black screen!

Either it was batteries (for the bullet cam) expiring very quickly in the cold, or the power/video connections not coping with the changing temperatures.... Personally I tend to think it's the latter.....

All a bit annoying really. Fortunately other people had cameras that actually worked so we did get some footage.