1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bulkpaq Green DVD-R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by numskull, Dec 8, 2003.

1. numskull

numskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone used these in their Panny E50? Any problems?:confused:

2. SIP

SIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Numskull

I have used the Bulkpaq Green discs in my Panasonic E50 with a 95% success rate.
    I have had the odd one or two that have been rejected by the machine - which can be very annoying. The discs that have been a probelm, load into the machine ok, and start off recording ok, but after about 30 seconds the E50 shuts down with the word "Recover" on the front panel. The machine then fires back up, but the disc is dud afterwards. This is annoying if you are recording a film "off air", and end up missing the start while you mess about putting another disc in. Fortunately, I have always been with the machine when this has happened - never timed recording - so at least I have not completely missed the programme.
    I have used the genuine Panasonic discs, which I have had no trouble with, and also Maxell which have proved fine - but they are dearer than the Bulkpaq. You really do get what you pay for regardless of what anyone says. I dont know how these discs will fair over a long period, but again at less than a £1 each you cant really grumble. The dye on the dearer discs is a vibrant purple colour, the dye on the Bulkpaq is more like lilac - and although I stand to be corrected - I have been told that this is one of the giveaways to the accuracy of how information is written on the discs ( the deeper colour being more reliable).
    The best bet is to use the known branded for stuff that you want to archive, and the cheapies for less critical stuff. Performance wise - the naked eye cant see the difference in recording quality between one or the other. My local shop, will exchange the Bulkpaq discs that my machine has rejected, so I have not really missed out - so try and find someone local to buy from if you can.
    Happy Recording

Sip

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Put a title on the disc, if this works you know it will not probably fail at 30 seconds, which is the length of time it takes to start actually writing to the disc. It is not 100% successful at stopping media failure but it will pick up most of these issues.

Indeed if you try the disc again it will often work, if the failure was due to a spot of dust for example. When dubbing with my hs2 it has occassionally been the 3rd attempt before the media would write without going into recover mode. If it hasn't taken on the 3rd try I scrap it and try another.

4. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to endorse Ken's advice: I now ALWAYS title the disc first: occasionally, it will go into recover mode, but the disc is always still usable afterwards. I did have an issue once when the machine froze when I tried to set the title, and it wouldn't even power off. Eventually I had to unplug it to get it to do anything at all.
    Stevie

5. numskull

numskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the sound advise chaps.

I'll use the "Add Title" workaround before I try to record. I've also got some "White Label" brand DVD-R's too. These are also very cheap @ 59p each so I'll use this trick on these as well.

Num

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Does that mean if you press record at the beginning of a programme, you lose the first 30 seconds?

7. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I don't know as I have never recorded directly to a dvd, always via the hdd on my hst. I guess it would take that long to start writing to the dvd, but there must be some sort of buffer.

When I am dubbing to media from the HDD the picture is playing on the screen and none is missing on the media so it must have come from a buffer. However if the media fails at the 30 second mark there is nothing on it and it will usually work on the next attempt. I don't bother with the title trick as I only ever dub to media not direct or timer record to it.