1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bulkpaq (Gen 4) & Datawrite Red (V3) Media?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by craigus, Aug 30, 2004.

1. craigus

craigus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Could anyone please advise if Bulkpaq Generation 4 & Datawrite Red (V3) media uses purple or blue dye?

Looking for cheap bulk-purchase media for general TV recordings but my Panasonic DMR-E50 doesn't like DVD media that uses blue dye.

Hope the above makes sense!!!

Thanks in advance.

Craigus

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

Using Nero to scan the Datawrite V3 Red labelled DVD's only shows they are made by Infosmart01. The dye layer is not included in the manufactured data on the DVD.

The DVD layer looks to me to be a very light purple colour. I've been using the V3 and V2 Red labelled Datawrite DVD's for many months as they are cheap 0.15p each and have the best compatibility of any DVD I've used. For some reason the DVD's just seem to work with everything. Unfortunately I don't know if they work in the Panny 55 but I've used them in a Sony RX3 and Pioneer 420H and they work OK. They also work in 95% of DVD players that I've copied DVD's for, even older players such as the Wharfedale 750S which is very picky. By far the most reliable DVD I've used.

At £14.00 for 100 DVD's you can't go far wrong. It would even be worth tracking down a spindle of 25 DVD's to try.

3. craigus

craigus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Laser.

Thanx for the info.

Will get some Datawrites ordered - seen 'em for £4.49 for 25!

Craigus

4. kevincm

kevincm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Datawrite Red's V3 (Infosmart) are ok ... I've found in my Panny E55 that they take longer to finalise these DVD's than DataWrite Yellow V2's (which are based on the Ritek G04 dye).

In my PC... that's anohter matter... Ritek yellows are the best.. reds don't burn.

Personally, I'd go for the Yellow's and pony up the extra £1.50 :)

Don't you just LOVE technology.

Kevin

5. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  6. soup nazi

soup nazi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a panasonic e50 and the datawrite reds i had just wouldnt record but the datawrite yellow have been fine.

7. Philbill

Philbill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my PC also the Ritek reds do not burn, they are fine in the Pan E85 though :D so not a complete waste. My Pc DVD writer needs discs with the purple Dye G04 or it will not even recognise the discs properly.
    Phil

8. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I've used datawrite orange and classic grey and all have been perfect on my Sony RDR-GX3 :) Makes me wonder why i paid £5 per disc for TDK etc, does anyone think there is any quality difference between the more expensive high street DVD-R's?

9. craigus

craigus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Thanks for the advice & warnings.

Originally my Panny E50 did write to the blue dye discs, but eventually gave up the ghost. Apparently I was damaging the laser!

The best discs I've found lately are the Datawrite Yellow (V2) discs - actually prefer to Ridisc as I've had a few bad batches.

Cheers

Craigus

10. kevincm

kevincm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dean: It's called "preying on the consumer.. and giving them a plastic case"

Cragus: Batches vary in quality from company to company. I've never hada problem with any DataWrite Yellow media. To be honest, I'm now keeping DataWrite Red for throwaway recordings on the Panny whilst redirecting the Yellows back to the PC to archive stuff (and pullng back the Yellows when needed).

Bulkpaq media is ick. I've had problems both with the + and -R's. Avoid.

Kevin

11. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have noticed with some media that there seems to be alot of glue pushed out round the rim as the layers are sandwiched together. Others it is better or even not present. Does this make any difference?

I noticed that a pack of Ridiscs which had alot of ragged glue edges seemed to make alot if vibration noise about 50% through a high speed dub. Is this related in any way?