• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Bulgaria House Prices

djcla

Distinguished Member
Someone was telling me about how cheap property was in Bulgaria so thought id take a look at the house prices out there. You can actually buy a house for around 6K looking at some sites there must be a catch somewhere . Has anyone ever been over there and was it nice?

Ian J

Banned
The housing may be cheap but the average wage is only tuppence ha'penny otherwise why do you think that half of the Bulgarian population is in Sainsbury's carpark washing cars

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Well its about £140 a month average wage liter of beer for 35p loaf 30p that's why there all skint oh and its Bulgaria!!!

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
I think there may be problems in actually owning the property yourself. IIRC, you have to set up a company to actually own the place, even though you can own the company. I don't really understand the implications of the above, but someone who does once tried to explain why that was and always would be a precarious way to do things.

But on the other hand, you can indeed buy houses in Bulgaria for £6K on e-bay and if you don't mind the risk you should be able to get several holidays out of it and then whatever happens its paid for itself.

Possibly a better investment that gold (see Iccz's gold thread for explanation) :laugh::laugh:

djcla

Distinguished Member
I think there may be problems in actually owning the property yourself. IIRC, you have to set up a company to actually own the place, even though you can own the company. I don't really understand the implications of the above, but someone who does once tried to explain why that was and always would be a precarious way to do things.

But on the other hand, you can indeed buy houses in Bulgaria for £6K on e-bay and if you don't mind the risk you should be able to get several holidays out of it and then whatever happens its paid for itself.

Possibly a better investment that gold (see Iccz's gold thread for explanation) :laugh::laugh:

nice pads by the beach are not so cheap unfortunatley , looks interesting though as a holiday home. Charge £500 a week for rent and it will pay for itself over a few years :)

Dony

Distinguished Member
About 3 yrs ago my brother got sucked into buying a property in Bulgaria. He paid £27k up front for it.
The contractor then went bust before the properties were completed and he was left with nothing.

However, a couple of months back he got a letter from some Bulgarian legal team representing the contractor, offering him a house for the same value, though at a different resort. He's been a lot more careful in his dealings this time, but it looks like he'll actually get something for his outlay.

MrBlofeldt

Banned
djcla said:
Someone was telling me about how cheap property was in Bulgaria so thought id take a look at the house prices out there. You can actually buy a house for around 6K looking at some sites there must be a catch somewhere . Has anyone ever been over there and was it nice?

My parents-in-law bought two properties (back to back) about six years ago, then knocked them into one house, with fitted kitchen fitted bathroom, new patio, did lots to the garden, and a whole host of other things, they spent less than £30K altogether. I've been a couple of times and it's ok, although the town near where they live looks like something out of a John Le Carre novel, people are reasonably friendly although they can be a little brash, there's a lot of bums and gypsies around and there is still a lot of racism. Apparently using the trains can be dangerous, but places like Sunny beach and Nessabar (sp?) are really nice though touristy, food and drink is pretty cheap and in the summer it's hot, in the winter it's cold... And it snows... A lot!!!

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Terrible place, totally corrupt. The only people making any money are criminals and politicians. Everyone is on the take and there is a lot of poverty...and begging gypsies. My colleague used to own a couple of houses out there and had an absolute nightmare with a local mayor. He arranged some building work and the guy did most of it and then held him to ransom to complete it. He fired him and got someone else in to finish it but the original guy came back with some heavies and broke his legs and said nobody was to touch the house until he was now paid double. He ended up having to pay the town mayor/politician off in order to get this guy out of the way so he could finish the work. Then it got burned down when he was back in England visiting family. Nothing happened and they didn't find anyone but he suspected that it was the original builder who was not happy. It's not like here where the Police would sort it out...they did nothing.

A friend's father bought a place in Sunny Beach and had a nightmare with that too.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom