Bulb Prices

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by JiveTalker, Oct 19, 2005.

1. JiveTalker

JiveTalker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me why projector bulbs cost hundreds of pounds? :confused:

Is it similar to the print cartridge market where each model has a unique design forcing the consumer to buy replacements from the manufacturer only? Is the idea to maximise the profit from consumables?

It would seem relatively straight forward to have a generic bulb for similar spec projectors and that would surely push prices down dramatically to something reasonable, below £50.

If the manufacturers are already buying their LCD panels from the same source (ie usually Epson) then why not also have standard bulbs too? I'm sure if the bulbs were more reasonably priced then the potential market for budget models would expand exponentially and certainly those companies that don't make tvs would see their profits rise significantly.

2. cybrey

cybrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    You are partly right in that the relatively small numbers of projector bulbs being made make it expensive. But also the materials used to make the bulb are exceptionally expensive. This question or a similar one was answered recently might be worth a search.

3. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Its an unavoidable cost of owning a pj, lets just hope we get the stated hours out of the bulbs.:eek:

4. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Its a deliberate ploy by the manufacturers to stop 3rd party companys getting interested in producing pj bulbs, as there are so many different types it just not worth setting up to manufacture small quantities. The actual cost of the bulbs is not as expensive as they would have you beleive, do a search for metal hyalide bulbs, high pressure sodium/mercury, I use high pressure mercury,metal hyalide and sodium lamps to light my marina grounds and they dont cost anything near what a pj bulb costs.

5. lukemh

lukemh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not true!! I can tell you that certain models of projectors you can buy your own lamps for

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An example being?

:smoke:

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The Search button is your friend - This issue has been covered a number of times - Click Here for an example.

S.

8. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Get a jar and stick a quid in every time you switch in on, so when it comes time to replace the bulb it'll be pretty painless.

9. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,376
    Question = Why do manufacturers charge so much for replacement bulbs?

Answer = Because they can!

What's you alternative option?

10. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Supply and demand, market economics, simple as that.

11. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Still doesn't excuse the ridiculous prices they charge for bulbs and then have the cheek to offer practically no warranty cover on them , its about time that some kind of regulations were put in place regarding consumable items such as printer cartridges, pj lamps etc as the companys are in effect operating a closed market and charging whatever they feel like, just goes to show how high the profit margins are when bulbs become available on offer for £99 when they normal retail at £250 , an absolute rip off.

12. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    and when you go buy a car and it breaks down out of the relatively short warranty you have to pay £400 average to get it fixed (while its value is still reasonable that is....once its an old model the average repair drops to around £180).......of course you have insurance, but unless the damage is going to cost more than 30% of the cost of the car to fix you dont bother using the insurance because your premium will most likely go back up........
    yet people buy cars all the time, sure they moan about the price of repairs, replacement parts costs etc...and we all know most of those parts are produced on such a vast scale in regards to quantity that they cost bugger all to make....lol....yet they still charge an arm and a leg for them...why?...because they know you need them and will pay for them!.....at least we know that the amount of bulbs produced for a particular model (or group of models in some cases) are not mass produced to the same degree...so take comfort in the knowledge that a PJ bulb is costing you less compared to its manufacturing cost than a gearbox does ;-)

of course you could enquire to your household insurer as to whether they will add a tiny premium to your household insurance to cover your projectors bulb, they might agree, (could be a tenner, or £20 or £50, dunno)......give you peace of mind.....then again they might not, but if you dont ask, you dont get ;-)

currently under my parents roof after a split with a g/f, my £10,000 worth of homecinema/hifi/computer is all packaged up as a 'multi-media setup' on the insurance as a separate entity under the main household plan, cant remember the premium now, something like £300 a year i think....but it covers me against everything, fire, flood, theft, accidental damage, even acts of god........worth the money in my mind! (especially given we did once have a lightening strike that took out a bunch of stuff as it went down the aerial and phone line..lol)......i think its with Saga insurance, so anyone got an expensive setup it might be worth enquiring........(but dont forget, this is a premium on top of the household insurance which isnt a cheap package either as this house is most of my parents security).....have to ask them if they will replace a faulty bulb on the insurance....heh...might be worth it.....mind you i dont think mines gonna get the chance to be faulty, almost 500 hours now in just under 2 months...EEK!!

13. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39,850
    I think we are still under the business cost model rather than the consumer market model, so we pay what they can charge. Is a bulb for a slide projector really doing that much of a different job? but look at the cost difference.

I still do the 50p in the jar model though and am happy, although it's a virtual 50p and jar :)

dave

14. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think 2 pence a hour is expensive :cool:

2 pence multiplied by 5000 (hours of lamp life) = cost of bulb £100 :D

15. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Why isnt there any OEM bulbs like compatible ink carts?

16. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If that was the average cost of a bulb I'd be well happy, we were very lucky to get those bulbs and hopefully by the time we need to buy again pj's will have become more popular and bulb prices will have fallen, based oin my last bulb life it would have cost nearly 10p per hour if i had to pay standard retail price for a bulb, still well worth it IMO but still scandalously expensive. I picked up some spare high pressure mercury bulbs for my outside lights last week, 150w 15000 hr life at a cost of £9.00 each , need I say more.

17. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well you could tell us how you get on fitting one of them in your projector...... :devil: If you think that the colour spectrum of a street lamp (or anyother lamp for that matter) would be just fine for a projector, then do some further reading - Click Here for instance.

S.

18. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just pointing out the huge difference in price between a high pressure mercury lamp used for general lighting and the ones used in pj's, I think that youll find the colour spectrum of a mercury street lamp to be practically the same as those used in a pj , I did a lot or research on colour spectrums of various lamps when I installed my night vision cctv cameras so im not quoting facts that I havent researched. Being arsey doesnt really add anything to the discussion does it :nono: .