1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bulb lifespan

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jonathan100, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Jonathan100

Jonathan100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering purchasing a Panasonic pt-ae200/300 however I am slightly worried about lamp life. As what looks like a simmilar price to a good 32" tele could end up being £300/yr in bulbs.

Panasonic quote 2000h on high brightness in their manual, however I see 5000 quoted for low power in various places but panasonic simply state "prolonged life in low power". In people's experiences do the bulbs actually last the projected lifespan or is this a highly optemistic figure on the part of the manufacturer?

I have searched and found this article http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82193 which seems that many people had to replace the bulb after 2200 ish hours, even on low power. There was some speculation as to the fact that the 2000h might be a "high power equivilent" time, so infact about 5000h in realtime but no one came back with a final answer.

I have also read that the life span is a half life rather than time till the bulb breaks, I can't quite remeber if lumens follow a straight line graph but does the projector fall to visibly half brightness over the lifespan?

Finally how do people who have had LCD projectors (any make) over a long period of time find they stand up reliability wise. I have read about discolorizations etc, is this likely to be a problem? I would hate to spend a lot of money only for it to become sub standard a couple of years down the line.

Thanks for any responses, I have done quite a bit of research and searches on the forum and probably just need my mind put to rest that I am not wasting £1000-1400 on something that will only last a year or two.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi & welcome :)

Projectors tend (correctly) to be used far less than TVs. Practically everyone who owns a PJ also has a regular TV for errrr........regular TV viewing.

Given that, what is your predicted PJ useage? A dvd or two maybe 3/4/5 night per week? Occassional viewing of "big events" - football, sport, concerts etc..?

So at 20 hours per week, even on high power, most PJs won't require a bulb replacement for at least 2 years. Obviously far longer in low lamp mode.

I consider myself a frequent PJ user (dvds, games, Sky & sat TV aswell as frequent web browsing/PC'ing in general) & have approx 700 hours on my HS10 since last December.

It's not a major concern TBH, given the benefits of front projection.

YMMV, but I think the consensus here will be similiar.

:smoke:

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Echo the welcome.....

Agree with Kramer............ I know that some have higher usage, but I've clocked up a little over 1000hrs in a year, a couple of movies a week, a little more at weekends, a bit of PS2, and footie watching.

Two years down the line you could be thinking about upgrading your projector.............. 18 months ago the AE100 was the darling of the forums, in the intervening period it's been superceded by a range of entry level projectors.

There's no doubt that the depreciation on these machines is pretty fierce, but for the pleasure we get from our movie room, frankly it's worth it. If you think of it as a television, it doesn't make sense economically - but the point is it's not a telly........... if you like movies (and I like watching movies more than I like watching "the projector", if you know what I mean...) then there's no substitute for watching movies on a 7' screen (or bigger if that floats your boat), with a picture and sound quality that can't be equalled by your local pukeplex. You also avoid having to put up with kids running around, mobile phone users, etc. etc.

As for reliability - proper care and attention and running the PJ in the kind of regime it was designed for goes a long way. Common issues with current PJs (if you've done your reading here you'll know what they are) 'can be avoided, in the main, by careful choice of dealer - someone who'll sort things out quickly and without endless delays and fuss.

Try to find someone nearby who'll let you see their setup - it will help you make up your mind whether it's for you.....

All the best,

Sean G.

4. Jonathan100

Jonathan100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys, my intended usage is a few DVDs a week, a couple of hours of gamecube and perhaps the odd hour of the better quality tele (spooks, etc). I had thought that I would put the tele in the corner with the DVD, surround sound, Gamecube, digi box and then just run a scart cable from there to the projector via my scart switcher so I can easily choose either screen depending what it is.

I have already borrowed the PT-AE200 for a couple of nights and was thoroughly impressed with it. However the 300 has a higher resolution so I am debating between the two, I will probably leave it until the end of the month as there has been a run of monthly price reductions.

Thanks for the advice, it has made me more at ease and I will look to be making a purchase next month all being well. :D

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Come back and tell us how you get on................. if you're waiting a month or so before "jumping in", here should be some new projectors on the market well worth considering - recent posts here point the way.

All the best.

Sean G.