Bulb Life

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by purplesticky, Mar 17, 2005.

1. purplesticky

purplesticky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im pretty new to projection and i just recently bought my self a Infocus Litepro 620 projector which im having alot of fun with.

I bought this projector secondhand and the guy i bought it off didnt no how long the bulb had left in it.

i was wondering is there any way i can check the bulb life or what sign should i look out for to know when it's on it's way out at the mo it's seems fine.

Cheers

2. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Usually, menu will show runtime, but to check, goto Infocus site in the states drop down list to select model, they have faq's/user manual, etc

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Many projectors allow you to reset the bulb life counter whether you change the bulb or not.

I suppose it's akin to clocking a car really, and I can't believe it doesn't happen to some extent on the 2nd hand market.

Any ads that say "new bulb just fitted", take it with a pinch of salt unless backed up with a genuine looking receipt...PJ

4. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Beats me why the manufacturer's make it so easy for you to reset the counter. The thing should somehow 'know' when the bulb has been replaced... or is that a bit unrealistic with current technolgies maybe :confused:

5. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not at all. When you are paying between £150-£500 for a lamp, there is plenty of opportunity for them to integrate a small eeprom into the lamp assembly that can track the hours used. If third party printer cartirdge manufacturers can afford to put a simmilar device in a cartridge selling for under a fiver the PJ manufacturers have no excuse.

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Some projectors have a non-resettable counter which counts the number of lamp-counter resets and/or a non-resettable total power-on hours counter! (non-resettable by the average user that is)

Neither of course can tell you precisely how many hours are on a specific lamp (after all, for one thing there's no way to tell if the lamp was new or not when first installed), but eg if a projector/lamp has a claimed 700 hours on it and has had half a dozen lamp-counter resets, the alarm bells should ring for most people.

The problem with an eeprom would most likely be heat - there's also no way to be sure that the eeprom itself had not been reset!