1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bulb life...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cerebros, Jun 4, 2004.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just how relaible are manufacturers estimates of bulb life? I only ask because I'm trying to figure out whether I'd need to get a spare bulb if I get a proejctor, or whether the bulb is likely to last until I think about upgrading to something new.

For example, I think i saw an estimate for the Sanyo Z2 of 3000 hours. Assuming that the average film watched is 2 hours long, that means you could watch 1500 films. If you watched 1 film a week that means the bulb would last about 29 years. Is that remotely likely? Or are the, at first glance, rather expensive projector bulbs, actually remarkable value for money?

2. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Hi,

I am still on my first projector, and have only just broken the 1000 hour mark. This has taken me 15 months to complete, and I use the projector whenever I can, sometimes just to surf the net. :eek: IMO this is great value for money.... I can never see myself being without a projector again.

Cheers

Rob

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it is a stastical thing..... im not sure quite how a manufacturer will define his lifetime.... it could be the mean, it could be the 50% mark in the lifetime distribution, who knows. But in any case, there is a real chance of a bulb failing within a couple of months if you are unlucky. My feeling is that the lifetimes are generally exagerated, but not to the point of a 1 films a week watcher buying a new bulb. My guess further is that statistically about 40% will have bulb lifetimes somewhere between a tenth and the full estimated lifetime....

ad

4. mcduck

mcduck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine has just gone on my sanyo su20. Lasted over 2 years but I dont know how many hours had a lot of use though!