Bulb life - whose got the longest serving?

SanPedro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, since affordable HC PJs have been going proper since the AE100 came out... who has the bulb with the longest lifespan and has anyone reached manufacturers quoted figures?

I'll start the ball rolling with my AE100, now15months old with 2550 hours on it at low power.

CL

Good Idea, Chris.............. yourself (and many others, no doubt) are well ahead of me..... 1300hrs eco mode on an AE100..... and very happy with it !!

Sean G.

Mine does get some serious use as we have no other means of watching TV. The kids think it's the norm to watch Cartoon Network 7ft wide :rolleyes:

CL

Thats your second bulb though isn't it Sean?? :D :D

Sean AE100 20+ months - 1300hrs

Keith AE100 11 months - 3600hrs
AE300 10 months - 2950hrs

You're all light weights I tells ya! :D

Keith

These bulbs still going strong?

Better leave mine on all day just to catch up ;)

CL

How much do the bulbs cost?

FYI SIM2 projectors are quoted at 8000 hours.

I recently had several original HT200's in for service. Two had 9500 hours but one clocked in at 10,719 hours :clap: and it didn't even come in for a lamp change!

Regards

Alan Roser
Managing Director
SIM2 UK Ltd

harrisuk............You guys must have alot of spare time

Which projector do you have and how many hours are on it ?

Sean G.

Originally posted by harrisuk
You guys must have alot of spare time :rolleyes:

I normally turn mine on when I get home at around 6.00pm and leave it on all night in my gaming/movie room, that way I can watch or play what I want when I want without having to turning it on throughout the evening. I generally surf the net in here as well so I usually have Sky or something on anyway. :)
No point having it if I dont use it, I never thought of having a PJ and using it once or twice a week for movies..shocking idea that. This way the missus can watch what she wants on the front room on the portable Tosh 36" :laugh:

Originally posted by harrisuk
You guys must have alot of spare time :rolleyes:
No just 3 brothers!

They'll be paying they're share of bulb, PJ replacement/repair costs though! :D

Chris,

The AE300 was a replacement for the AE100. Bulb was going strong on the AE100. Twas the heat damage to the optics that killed it. Resolved by running high fan on the AE300. TBH I reckon excessive on/off cycles do more to limit bulb life than extended running periods.

Which projector do you have and how many hours are on it ?

ae500 2 hours :blush: only got it on Tuesday.

Originally posted by calibos

The AE300 was a replacement for the AE100. Bulb was going strong on the AE100. Twas the heat damage to the optics that killed it. Resolved by running high fan on the AE300. TBH I reckon excessive on/off cycles do more to limit bulb life than extended running periods.

Interesting thought that. The kids switch ours on a around 5.30 and it stays on till midnight or whenever us grownups get to bed.

BTW what brought on the heat damage? was it enclosed at all?

CL

Great Post!

My AE100 is running at low mileage at only 307 hours in 14 months! We use it mainly when we are both in - I watch the footie on it sometimes - but we use it mainly when we want to watch a film on DVD/PC/X-Box or Sky.

Mines Mounted on ceiling and theres a no smoking policy in the lounge. I heard that smoking with PJ above really does a lot of damage!

Cheers

Tone

AE200 - 170 hrs (Had it since December)

I've watched all of Sopranos series 1 to 3 on it and now I spend most my time playing Xbox.

Anyone played SSX3? That game was made for projectors!!:eek:

How long are you supposed to leave the projector to cool before turning it on again?

I try to let it cool for an hour, but sometime half an hour. Is this bad?

Harrisuk, once you get your xbox hooked up to it those 2 hours will soon be many hours ;)

ae200 270 hrs since november.

enjoyed every second of it,watch about 3-4 dvds a week.

Your not joking. 6 hours last night :eek: Projectors are definately the way to go for gaming. I thought it looked good on a 42" plasma :rolleyes:

I was amazed by the quality of the picture from the ae500. Its not even properly setup, only connected by RGB scart at the moment. I have the high def pack but will wait untill I can get it properly setup upstairs.

harrisuk once you start to run the xbox via component it will really look more amazing especially via 480p etc, i think about 75% of my bulb use is from the xbox there is now no going back ;)

The only problem with projectors and gaming is that games look more 'jaggy' than on a TV because the picture is bigger...

Does anyone else find this?

I am using a modded Xbox with the hi-def pack for progressive scan.

Well not really but it is 6ft wide in my case. What do you expect ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom