1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bulb life - pushing the limits question.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mightyoakbob, Nov 9, 2004.

1. mightyoakbob

mightyoakbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've recently got myself an Infocus 4805 with which I'm very pleased. Reading reviews etc. suggest that bulb life in economy mode can be up to 4000 hours. Trouble is, the internal timer will stop the thing working at 3000 hours anyway. So presumably you need to reset the bulb hours timer before the 3000 tottal is reached?

What are the risks in doing this?

Is it more likely the bulb will explode, is the projector at risk at all from doing this? Am I at risk from doing this?

If it is safe to play with the bulb life timer, why do manuafaturers shut down the projector at a fixed point?

Will appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Bob.

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You could ask wherever you bought the projector to confirms, but I'm assuming that if you run the projector in economy mode, then the hour counter runs a little slower, hence 4000hrs; alternatively the PJ's firmware has two time counters - one for normal mode hours and one for economy mode hours. You should check it out - although I thought that the X1/X2/4800/4805 were "re-classified" by infocus as 4000 hour runtime projectors, maybe it was only the X1 & X2.

Sean G.

Sean G.

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    The X1/X2/4800 were changed to 4000 hours lamp life by firmware update - there is no such update available (yet, anyway) for the 4805.
    AFAIK, the 4800 is really an X1 in disguise - however the 4805 is not an X2 in disguise.

Apparently there is a risk that that the bulb will burst and damage the projector internally - however the lamp life chosen is a little arbitrary (after all, I doubt they are suggesting that at 2990 hours there is no risk of this, but at 3010 there is - however if you bother with a limit at all, you have set that limit at some figure or other), all they are really saying is that the risk of this happening increases with lamp age, and at some point, with average use, the statistical risk becomes a bit too high.