Bulb energy

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Too much focus on the monthly payments. It doesn't really matter as long as you're not too far into debit or credit. Mine is probably about right as they're not changing mine at all.

All that matters is the cost per unit and the standing charge.

Inked

Distinguished Member
Too much focus on the monthly payments. It doesn't really matter as long as you're not too far into debit or credit. Mine is probably about right as they're not changing mine at all.

All that matters is the cost per unit and the standing charge.
The focus on the monthly payments is due to the fact that bulb can’t seemingly work it out accurately for themselves.
As I’ve stated, I’m £70 in credit (which will likely be over £90 on next payment) my monthly usage averaged £110 a month over the last year and they think I should be paying £153.

Even with their new tariffs I can’t see where the difference in usage from the last year to the next could possibly be £500+

Miss Mandy

They want customers to be in credit enough that if a payment is missed there's enough to cover it in full. I have no issue with that personally as I'd rather be in credit and have it covered if I missed a bill than be in debt.
I believe they're also over-estimating future usage as more people than normal are working from home and will continue to do so over winter which will obviously make their bills higher. They base the estimates on the averages of similarly sized properties rather than individual usage though which is why for some users it'll be completely out of whack.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
I've been paying a bit too much for a couple of years now, and every month they kept suggesting I reduce my payments WAY down to work my way thru the credit.
It got to over £500 in credit, so I've eventually caved in a reduced my payments to the level they suggested, which will take about 1.5 years or reduced payments to bring me back down to even again.

Inked

Distinguished Member
That isn’t what they say they do to work out payments though. And that you should be paying enough to build up credit enough cover the higher usage in winter and start building credit again in spring.

Bulb believe my usage will average £123.52 per month going forward and that I was £42 in debit at last statement (because they keep moving the statement date ahead of my payment date even if I bring my payment date forward to try and counter this to make it more accurate) - I’m actually in credit of £70.41

Even that doesn’t equate to the £153.81 a month they want to put the payments up to.

The problem is, there seems to be a real disconnect between payments / statements / real time account balances so by the time they’ve recalculated what they think your payments should be, they’ve worked it out on outdated data from weeks ago

They want customers to be in credit enough that if a payment is missed there's enough to cover it in full. I have no issue with that personally as I'd rather be in credit and have it covered if I missed a bill than be in debt.
That’s not what bulb say in their literature though.
You should have enough built up in summer to cover the extra cost over winter

I believe they're also over-estimating future usage as more people than normal are working from home and will continue to do so over winter which will obviously make their bills higher. They base the estimates on the averages of similarly sized properties rather than individual usage though which is why for some users it'll be completely out of whack.

Last edited:

Cherrywood

Been with Octopus for past 8months, no issues at all.
No app from what i havr seen, but comms all good and no issues what so ever.

If anyone serious about switching here is my code for the £100 split.

share.octopus.energy/topaz-newt-441

outoftheknow

It’s been 14.5 years since I enjoyed UK utility company expertise and customer service ........ but do they still have an option to pay the full bill by DD every time rather than the “even pay” options?

I do that over here and then I set up payments every payday (fortnightly here which is great :) ) to each one at an amount I think will cover the next bill and leave me in an amount of credit I am happy with.

I got fed up with the letters with increases and decreases all the time - here the payment increases/decreases aren’t optional. Their computer decides and that’s it. I had $1,700 (£850) credit built up using the electricity company even pay system. I asked to reduce it to zero noting that is about one year of bills for me. No can do sir. $5 per month? Nope - I’ve run the calculation and the minimum we can reduce it to is $50 a month......

That was the end of evenpay for me as soon as they explained I could pay any amount I like to the account at any time and have the full pay DD set up to get the DD discount.....

Desmo

Distinguished Member
The focus on the monthly payments is due to the fact that bulb can’t seemingly work it out accurately for themselves.
As I’ve stated, I’m £70 in credit (which will likely be over £90 on next payment) my monthly usage averaged £110 a month over the last year and they think I should be paying £153.

Even with their new tariffs I can’t see where the difference in usage from the last year to the next could possibly be £500+
I get that, it does seem their computer isn't always going to get it right.

I'm more talking about when a direct debit has increased and so people think their bill has increased and decide to move over it. What if they were underpaying by quite a bit? Sometimes a direct debit does need changing to make sure the correct amount is being paid and checking the unit costs and daily charges is the ONLY way to make the correct comparisons....not what you pay monthly.

Miss Mandy

Bizarrely I've had another email from them this morning about these increases which now suggests a further £4 increase compared to the other one. That would make my bills £59 a month instead of the current £45. My winter usage is £45 and summer is around £38 so my current payments already cover winter and I have £45 credit on the account.

They're saying that I need to increase payments because I'm in debt when the bill is drawn up, but that's their fault not mine. My payment goes in a few days after the bill and they won't change the dates to fix that.

I do my readings every month and work out my bills and payments based on those figures. If they put my DD up themselves I'll drop it down again straight away as I know I don't need to pay any more.

Inked

Distinguished Member
Bizarrely I've had another email from them this morning about these increases which now suggests a further £4 increase compared to the other one. That would make my bills £59 a month instead of the current £45. My winter usage is £45 and summer is around £38 so my current payments already cover winter and I have £45 credit on the account.

They're saying that I need to increase payments because I'm in debt when the bill is drawn up, but that's their fault not mine. My payment goes in a few days after the bill and they won't change the dates to fix that.

I do my readings every month and work out my bills and payments based on those figures. If they put my DD up themselves I'll drop it down again straight away as I know I don't need to pay any more.
Exactly what I’ll do while I look at alternative suppliers.
I had a standard “we’re sorry to hear you’ll be leaving” email response this morning to the email I sent them yesterday regarding the way they are calculating what payments they think I should be making.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Having looked into it, it seems that their methodology is a bit flawed. In my case my statement is drafted on the last day of the month & the DD goes out on the 1st. So I'm technically in debit for a day. What they want is your DD in advance of the statement, so your account is in credit between the DD date & the statement date.

So they've taken the view in my case that on the 31st August, before applying the usage, my account should have been £35 in credit. Because it wasn't that has been deemed a debit.. They then add this "debit" to your usage amount without allowing for the actual DD payment next day. So my account is viewed as being £70 in debt, which they then want to recoup over the next six months. Then add the price increase & the buffer they want to build up for winter. Although again flawed as being electric only, my usage varies little over the course of the year.

Probably haven't explained that very well but try this link after you've signed in to your account.

If it doesn't work you can get there by querying the chatbot.

krish

Distinguished Member
From managing my parents' Bulb account, you can set your own monthly DD payment and date taken @ ‘Payment settings’, and it'll either be accepted or computer says no.

Switched my parents away from Bulb ages ago, and most recently switched them to E.ON. I'd coincidentally switched to E.ON before them. Different tariffs - got an even better one for them. If anyone wants a refer-a-friend E.ON link (£40 eGift card each), let me know, but shop around and only use me if you're better off than with an exclusive comparison site tariff and/or Quidco/TCB cashback.

Inked

Distinguished Member
From managing my parents' Bulb account, you can set your own monthly DD payment and date taken @ ‘Payment settings’, and it'll either be accepted or computer says no. Switched my parents away from Bulb ages ago, and most recently switched them to E.ON. I'd coincidentally switched to E.ON before them. Different tariffs - got an even better one for them. If anyone wants a refer-a-friend E.ON link (£40 eGift card each), let me know, but shop around and only use me if you're better off than with an exclusive comparison site tariff and/or Quidco/TCB cashback.
As stated in one of my earlier posts, changing payment date made no difference as they just generated the bill even earlier. They still don’t apply the payment to my account until the day after the bill is generated.

krish

Distinguished Member
As stated in one of my earlier posts, changing payment date made no difference as they just generated the bill even earlier. They still don’t apply the payment to my account until the day after the bill is generated.
forget the date thing (was just a convenient feature, so I could change Bulb's set date to the date when my parents usually pay their energy bill), I changed my parents' payment amount ... dropped it to £30 from £35 and it was accepted, even though it regularly warned it may not be enough (which was bollocks, after the £75 credit from @richp007's parents' referral link)

p147

No app from what I have seen, but comms all good and no issues what so ever.

Thanks for that I might just take you up on that, and as for Bulb Whom I have been with for many years, they may well be on the slippery slope lots of people not happy when once they were a good company, Those that say you can lower the monthly deduction by bulb, I tried it last month and Bulb did not accept it.
I have e-mailed them (Hate chatbots) to ask if there are any penalties for me moving my account, if the answer is no then I will transfer.

WeeScottishLass

Are you all electric? I had an email today that stated they were raising electric, but lowering gas and then saw they were taking pence off gas but putting electric up quite a bit. But they're suggesting a monthly increase of a fiver. Ironic as its come down around £15 recently, so not too concerned just yet, but they do have a tendency to whack the price up more than seems fair at times..
I got the same email as you! Electricity going up but gas coming down. Despite my bill always being under the amount I pay and being in credit. 😒

WeeScottishLass

No app from what i havr seen, but comms all good and no issues what so ever.

I've never heard of octopus! Will have to check them out as I'm not happy with this price increase.

rousetafarian

Monthly payments £99.42
Montlhy usage £118.11
Currently £24.90 in debit
Recommendation at £163.00!

Sorry ain’t going to happen

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Mines going up a few quid a month but I’m deffo paying too much a month anyway , don’t really care to be honest , it’s not like putting the money in a savings account would make me any money .....

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I read on their forum (so take with a pinch of salt) that they're currently looking to sell up so want all the books with a nice surplus in them.

My normal useage is just under £90 pcm evened out over the year while I'm WFH, I reckon with the increase it will go up by about £6-8pcm.
They want an extra £25 and I'm already paying £105. Nope. No need for it, you get enough and I'm in credit. They won't let me pay less than £112.08

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett