Built in TV stereo speakers would make a good center

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by IanB, Dec 17, 2001.

1. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might have missed this idea in discussion before, but it strikes me that the built in speakers of a TV would make a great centre speaker, ie feed the centre channel info to the two speakers (effectively making them mono).

There would then be no need for an ugly centre perched on the top or slung underneath of the telly. I know there is the issue about voice matching to the fronts, but the TV manufacture could make a deal with a speaker manufacture and iron that out. This would actually make a great symbiotic business relationship.

Are there any TV's out there with this facility?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that there is more to voice matching than using identical speaker units as the acoustic environment must have a lot to do with the sound produced and "screwed inside a TV" won't sound quite the same as in a carefully designed box. The centre speaker is probably the most important single speaker and it would be false economy to buy a decent front stereo pair and compromise on the centre.

There are considerably more quality small speakers around than there were a couple of years ago and it seems that sub / sat is now overtaking full range speakers in popularity as can be seen from the number of people buying KEF eggs.