1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Built in speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by paul thomas, Nov 5, 2001.

1. paul thomas

paul thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just built a floor to ceiling bookcase and have put in an electric screen and projector. I am now going to update my very old amp and speakers to a surround sound system. I have been told that most speakers would have a problem being housed in the bookcase that I have built (they would be in the cupboards underneath) as it would cause too much vibration and if I were to pack the speakers out then I would loose alot of the sound. Is this true? as my old speakers don't seem to have this problem. Also my budget for new ones(2xfront, 1xcentre, 2xdipole rears and 1xsub) is about £2,000 - £2,500 what would you recommend?
    I am thinking of running this through a Dennon avc1se.:confused:

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sound like a case for some MK speakers.

They work well in cabinets as they are not ported at all so controlling bass is not so much of a problem.

You should still pack them into the enclosure, using foam or sound absorbant wadding, to ensure they don't move about at all and cause damage or any disturbing noise.

Look at the MK K-series, the K3 package of 3 matching K7 fronts, 2 K4 tripole rears and a K9 sub will cost you £1,895, but if you are getting the Denon AVC A1Se it will be worth getting two pairs of the K4's (£495 pair) for EX/ES duties.

If you do get the A1SE it may alos be worth waiting until it has it's DPL II upgrade.

Other changes you may wish to do would be adding a second K9 sub, or swapping the K9 for a MK V125 (£895).

Good luck and have fun!

If you are in the area of High Wycombe feel free to drop in and have a demo of the Mk K-series.

3. paul thomas

paul thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, as it happens I live in Beconsfield. Where are you in High Wycombe? I would love to come down and listen to the MK's. Do I need to book some time or can I just drop down, unfortunately I can't make it this Saturday but probably the following week.

Many thanks

Paul.

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You don't need to book in for a demo, just feel free to drop in when you can.

The shop is on the left hand side of Castle Street, 1st road on the right after the station (on the left) coming down the Amersham hill.

Look forward to seeing you.

There is a map on The Sound Gallery website (see link below).