built-in freeview doesnt work -freeview box does

walkersco

Standard Member
Reaction score
hello all

We have bought a new television with built in freeview. Before this, we had an old television with a freeview box and had no problems at all.

Since buying the new television, we can only get certain freeview channels - all bbc, itv3, dave, random freeview channels like viva and 4 music.

Itv, 4 5 and channel 4 channels are not working. Keep getting no signal/bad signal error message.

I think it may be a problem with the tv, but we will be without it for 3 weeks if the store sends to an engineer.

Any tips/solutions? I don't understand how the freeview box works but the built in freeview doesn't.

Thanks

The Freeview tuner in some TVs are less sensitive than separate Freeview boxes and require a better signal.

You don't say where you are or the aerial being used and it may be that the TV is at fault or as stated above.

Have you/can you try it on another aerial?
Another thing (possibly) worth trying is a signal booster which may help if the signal is slightly weak. Get one at a place that will take it back if it doesn't work.

The Freeview tuner in some TVs are less sensitive than separate Freeview boxes and require a better signal.

You don't say where you are or the aerial being used and it may be that the TV is at fault or as stated above.

Have you/can you try it on another aerial?
Another thing (possibly) worth trying is a signal booster which may help if the signal is slightly weak. Get one at a place that will take it back if it doesn't work.

we are in Sheffield. We are using the aerial socket on the wall which is connected to an aerial on the roof. We have no other aerial socket to try it on, but we are moving flat next week so will have to see there. Thanks for your reply

This does seem to be the generally held opinion, but does anyone know why it should be so?

After all, STB's are only a few tens of £s, whilst tv's are hundreds, if not thousands, of £s.

Are you using the same cables?
I installed a TV & PVR ( hard drive recorder ) for someone a few weeks ago. The PVR could get all the channels, but the TV could not.
I went back to basics. I tried the TV connected the wall socket using a known good flylead. All channels were OK. I then tested each of the other flyleads and was amazed how much the signal reduced with some of the them. Those flyleads went straight in the bin!

hello all

We have bought a new television with built in freeview. Before this, we had an old television with a freeview box and had no problems at all.

Since buying the new television, we can only get certain freeview channels - all bbc, itv3, dave, random freeview channels like viva and 4 music.

Itv, 4 5 and channel 4 channels are not working. Keep getting no signal/bad signal error message.

I think it may be a problem with the tv, but we will be without it for 3 weeks if the store sends to an engineer.

Any tips/solutions? I don't understand how the freeview box works but the built in freeview doesn't.

Thanks

If the solutions of changing the fly leads does not work, return the set to the store as "unfit for purpose" and get a refund. With a new purchase you should not have to wait while they return it "to the engineer". This is a favorite trick of some of the large chain stores to get you to delay asserting your consumer rights.

If the solutions of changing the fly leads does not work, return the set to the store as "unfit for purpose" and get a refund.

Or at least return to store and see whether they can tune it in to receive all Freeview channels. If they can't either - it is a problem with the set. If they can - it is a problem with the OP's aerial, cabling or wallplate.

Or at least return to store and see whether they can tune it in to receive all Freeview channels. If they can't either - it is a problem with the set. If they can - it is a problem with the OP's aerial, cabling or wallplate.

It's highly unlikely to be an actual fault with the "proper operation" of the tuner, just that the tuner is so insensitive as to render the TV unusable in ordinary household conditions. The OP has a rooftop aerial which provides a perfectly adequate signal for the separate STB.

It's highly unlikely to be an actual fault with the "proper operation" of the tuner, just that the tuner is so insensitive as to render the TV unusable in ordinary household conditions. The OP has a rooftop aerial which provides a perfectly adequate signal for the separate STB.

But may be using a different cable to connect the TV to the aerial than he is when connecting the STB to the aerial. Presumably he has RF cable from wall to STB RF in. And from STB RF out to TV. It could be as simple as a damaged RF cable between the STB RF out and the TV RF in.

But may be using a different cable to connect the TV to the aerial than he is when connecting the STB to the aerial. Presumably he has RF cable from wall to STB RF in. And from STB RF out to TV. It could be as simple as a damaged RF cable between the STB RF out and the TV RF in.

Which is why I carefully said to discount this before going further in my initial post :rolleyes:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/free...esnt-work-freeview-box-does.html#post13509463

Plenty of installers have "got away" with installing a marginal setup and been lucky with a sensitive set top box working just within the limits. Once that box fails then you have to start looking for a similar box. It could be true in this case (could also be not!)

Thanks for all the replies.

With the freeview box, we just had the aerial cable from the wall into the box and the scart from the box to the tv.

With the current tv, we just have the aerial cable plugged into the tv. I am going to buy a new aerial cable and see if this works. However, I dont think it is this as we can get certain channels e.g, BBC perfectly.

Going to try and take it to the store this afternoon and ask them to see if they can receive channels

You didn't answer my question.
Have you tried retuning the set?

This does seem to be the generally held opinion, but does anyone know why it should be so?
My question (#4) has also been ignored!
IMO this appears to be true of the cheaper lower quality brands of small-screen lcd tvs - but probably not the better quality large screens.

My (hopefully educated) guess is that the proximity of the tuner to the inverters and fluorescent backlights means they have either to have extra filters which reduce their sensitivity or the interference induced is compensated for by digital the error correction circuits - but only up to a point.

Even plastic cased stb tuners are further from such sources of interference.

With large-screen lcds it is possible to locate the tuner and interference generators away from each other.

Going to try and take it to the store this afternoon and ask them to see if they can receive channels

And the result was?
Just curious:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom