Question Built in Dolby Atmos on TV. Worth paying extra?

simon1967

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I tried the LG specific forum but had no response so thought I’d try here instead. A mate of mine is in the process of buying a new tv and has narrowed it down to these two LG Nano models:

LG 75NANO796NF (2020) LED HDR NanoCell 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 75 inch with Freeview HD/Freesat HD & Crescent Stand, Black at John Lewis & Partners

LG 75NANO906NA (2020) LED HDR NanoCell 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 75 inch with Freeview HD/Freesat HD & Dolby Atmos, Dark Silver at John Lewis & Partners

It appears that the price difference is down to the addition of Dolby Atmos on the more expensive set. Now, my own set up is with separate speakers in the ceiling and all round the room so I don’t use the built in sound of my Panasonic tv and use my AV receiver & sky box / BR player to do all the sound processing. So I’m confused as to how a TV set can profess to have built in Dolby Atmos without having all the speakers - and I’m pretty sure it’s not bundled with 11 additional speakers?

He’s not going the receiver route so is it worth paying the extra for the Dolby Atmos capability? I would think not based on my very basic understanding of how Dolby Atmos works but thought I would ask the experts on here?

Thanks for any enlightenment on the matter.
Cheers Simon

I assume it just uses magic (which often is 'fairly' effective) to throw sound. However as you know can't get close to the real thing. If you didn't have a setup or wife approval for it then it would be worth a few hundred more I think, no more.

More gimmick than a serious application of Atmos. An Atmos soundbar would probably be better given the restriction in size of speaker available on the TV itself. My grandson who works for Currys says they're great while still trying to keep a straight face.

Hi all,

I tried the LG specific forum but had no response so thought I’d try here instead. A mate of mine is in the process of buying a new tv and has narrowed it down to these two LG Nano models:

LG 75NANO796NF (2020) LED HDR NanoCell 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 75 inch with Freeview HD/Freesat HD & Crescent Stand, Black at John Lewis & Partners

LG 75NANO906NA (2020) LED HDR NanoCell 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 75 inch with Freeview HD/Freesat HD & Dolby Atmos, Dark Silver at John Lewis & Partners

It appears that the price difference is down to the addition of Dolby Atmos on the more expensive set. Now, my own set up is with separate speakers in the ceiling and all round the room so I don’t use the built in sound of my Panasonic tv and use my AV receiver & sky box / BR player to do all the sound processing. So I’m confused as to how a TV set can profess to have built in Dolby Atmos without having all the speakers - and I’m pretty sure it’s not bundled with 11 additional speakers?

He’s not going the receiver route so is it worth paying the extra for the Dolby Atmos capability? I would think not based on my very basic understanding of how Dolby Atmos works but thought I would ask the experts on here?

Thanks for any enlightenment on the matter.
Cheers Simon

The difference can be find here.

so the 906NA is full array local dimming and the 796 only got edge dimming. So 906 will offer better black then the 796. 796 also support dolby version where 796 does not ? As refer to Dolby Atoms support it just meants 906 will output dolby atoms when using its build in streaming apps.

I assume it just uses magic (which often is 'fairly' effective) to throw sound. However as you know can't get close to the real thing. If you didn't have a setup or wife approval for it then it would be worth a few hundred more I think, no more.

More gimmick than a serious application of Atmos. An Atmos soundbar would probably be better given the restriction in size of speaker available on the TV itself. My grandson who works for Currys says they're great while still trying to keep a straight face.

That's what I thought. Certainly not worth the £600 price difference then 😳

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom