1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Built in digital tuners on LCD? Are they better?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by manzaboy, May 23, 2005.

1. manzaboy

manzaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another newbie post so please be patient...

I am still trying to decide on which Tosh to get. Should I go for the 27WL56 or hang on for the WLT version which has an integrated digital tuner?

I wondered if anyone has had any experience of the intergrated tuners on LCD's and whether it makes a huge amount of difference to using a seperate freeview box in terms of picture quality?

Any opinions gratefully receieved!??

2. chaldon

chaldon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would you want a separate box - with separate remote controls, power supplies, more cables etc? No reason the tuner hardware should be any different in a TV, but it baffles me why they still sell so many analog TVs. Analog will be switched off in 5 years time.... But then , I haven't got an iDtv - cannot get a 15" one - so perhaps someone else knows better?

brian

3. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are obvious advantages to having built in digital, but here's some disadvantages:

1) Reliability - You have another component in your television, and it's not an easy repair if the tuner goes wrong.

2) Recording - This isn't a problem with the built in tuner on the television as it is the lack of Recorders that have a Freeview tuner inbuilt. This will change, but for the time being if you want to record freeview, unless you a DVD Recorder with built-in freeview, you'll have to watch the channel you're recording. If the box is seperate you can at least watch analogue on your tv, while your recorder uses the freeview box independantly.

Mainly though it's just a concern on LCD that you want to limit issues because of the price.

On the other side, built in saves connections, means one less remote, is a more suitable signal to LCD than analogue (widescreen and clearer quality). It's no disaster either way really.

4. manzaboy

manzaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see your point Chaldon, but I was trying to find out if an integrated tuner improved picture quality (i.e because it doesn't have to get re-interpreted by SCART etc... out of one box and into the T.V).
    I remember someone saying on one of the forums that digital t.v (freeview) looked clearer on an integrated LCD but wanted a wider opinion.

The iDTV will be more expensive (by a couple of hundred £££ I expect?) and it doesn't arrive until Aug, so if it won't make a lot of difference then I will buy the plain WL now and get a dual-tuner PVR.

If it will be better then I'll hang on until August and buy a single tuner PVR.

That's if the money doesn't burn a whol ein my pocket in the meantime ;)

5. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you're trying to get at the Contact.

Just out of curiosity, do IDTV sets have anlogue tuners too? Logically, they should do as Freeview still isn't available in all areas through an aerial...

If the only difference was the digital tv tuner, then I'd just go for the WL, however, the WLT model will also have 2xHDMI ports (instead of 1) and 1xcomponent input (instead of 0). :thumbsup: Well, that info seems to be correct for the 32WL56 -> 32WLT58 comparison anyway.

Personally, I'm waiting for the WLT.

Ben

6. manzaboy

manzaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for your comments Ben.

True the 2xHDMI is a plus.

Does the component make a big difference?

7. bigupdaezg

bigupdaezg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh it's always handy to have a component input as well. It may not be digital like HDMI, but the picture quality through it is second best! Plus upscaled resolutions can normally be displayed through component connections aswell (eg. 720p, 1080i)!

G

8. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You would think that in a TV with digital tuner the MPEG decoder in the tuner would write directly into a framebuffer that is displayed on the screen pixel-for-pixel. Many analog steps could be skipped.

However, that is theory. In practice you will probably find that the digital tuner is just a standard tuner ripped out of its enclosure, with normal RGB output connected to the video switch matrix in the TV. I.e. the digital signal is converted to analog and then back to digital inside the TV.

I will not believe anything different before I have seen and studied the schematics.
    Remember, it is even customary to convert DVI input to analog first and then back to digital. TV designers chop up the problem in blocks that they know or already have, and connect them together using interfaces they know.

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    There is not hard and fast rule. Not all tuners provide the same quality of picture and it doesn't matter whether they are internal or external. There will be some external boxes that will provide a better picture than an internal one and other that will not, but this is down to the quality of the decoder rather than how it is connected.

-Ian

10. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes, I can't remember a digital set that doesn't have a toggable analogue tuner too. Like you said, Freeview isn't available everywhere. Additionally you've got areas that recieve it where they'll have to wait for an aerial upgrade first.

11. BobD

BobD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba 17WLT46 and the picture quality on freeview is very good, never any breakup and no lipsync problems.
    Yes you can record from the freeview tuner as it can be independently output from one of the scart connectors whilst watching another input - analogue tv or the other scart or svideo.
    The 17WLT46 is a good LCD tv but will need a good aerial feed preferably with a built in amp in the aerial to reduce interference pickup on the downlead - I installed a DAT45 with MRD which is excellent in a marginal reception area. Only criticism would be the narrow viewing angle but this is OK on the bedroom as a second TV but would be naff in the lounge as a main tv.
    Would not buy another LCD tv without an INTERNAL freeview tuner and the new Toshiba 37WLT58 looks to be the dog's doodahs with freeview and 2xHDMI for PS3 and SKY HD.

12. manzaboy

manzaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: Thanks for all your help and advice guys. Now I just have to be patient and wait for Toshiba to release the model!!!

Hopefully Toshiba will deliver the product ontime and I won't still be waiting for it to arrive under the Tree at Xmas!?