1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Built in decoders

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by daftmole, Oct 11, 2002.

1. daftmole

daftmole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +386
    Hi,
    Apologies if this is in the the wrong section but can anybody help me, if a DVD player has a built in DD5.1 or DTS decoder, are they only accessed by using the 6 speaker ports on the back of the DVD player? Also, do you have to link these 6 ports to an amplifier, or can you directly plug your speakers and sub into the dvd player?

I am currently outputing via analgue to a pro logic receiver, and am wondering if getting a player with built in decoders will improve the sound quality at all, I understand that I'm not suddenly going to get DD5.1! Any advantage?

Many Thnx

2. markbuffyfan

markbuffyfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes u have to use the outputs on the back of the deck into the imputs of an amp with the exception of the sub which is usualy pwd .Reason for this is these are low level (line out) signals which are the equivalent of a preamp and they then need to be pwd into a pwr amp.

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To benefit from D/D and DTS from a player with onboard decoders you will have to connect the DVD to the amp via the 6ch inputs via phono leads. Has your amp got 6ch inputs?

Do not plug your speakers directly into the DVD player. :eek:

You will hear a tremendous difference between DPL and D/D.

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    markbuffyfan,
    All 6channel inputs and outputs have to be connected from DVD to amp, there's no exception. The sub line out is totally different.

5. daftmole

daftmole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +386
    Thnx very much for the replies. From what you've said I'm going to need to buy a new amplifier to get DD and DTS.

6. markbuffyfan

markbuffyfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know bob I thought that was what i said the only diffrence is that the amp is connected too the speakers and a further line out is usually taken to the sub unless u take it to pwr amp and passive speaker combination.

7. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    am i right in thinking to use the dts dd on an amp you plug into the digital ports. ie optical or coax.? so you plug the speakers and sub into amp then a lead into digital output of dvd player from amp.? cheers

8. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, but you didn't, what you said would confuse.
    This would be taken as you ONLY connect 5channels (L/C/R/SR/SL) NOT 6 channels if you have a powered sub. Then you gave a reason why the sub is excluded.
    This also confuses! Line level has nothing to do with the sub connection (one of the 6ch connections) from DVD > Amp.

DVD players with decoders connecetd to a DPL amp with 6ch inputs need all 6channel inputs/outputs connected to benefit from D/D DTS, speakers are connected to the amp, then depending on the amp and sub connections you can connect via line level/speaker level.

9. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct. ;)