Built in Decoder or Separate Amp ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Timc, Nov 12, 2000.

1. Timc

Timc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good old fashioned advice needed?

What is the best route to take, I am considering buying a DVD player, the Sony DVPS725 which I can link up with my exisiting Sony Surround Sound Amp and speakers(TA-VE150). Should I do this or should I upgrade my exisiting amp for a Sherwood RVD6095RDS or similar and go for a cheaper DVD Player.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Beware! I have read in a mag, that the Sherwood use the cheapest surround processors on the market. And are a bit crude
    Anyone else know otherwise?

Tim

------------------
    Somebody's poisoned the waterhole.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Off-board decoding (ie in the amp) is said to sound better than most decoders in the players, as well it could be of future use for e.g. D-TV or other DD/DTS sources.

------------------
    Rgds,
    Reiner

4. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah I would agree with Reiner on that one.

I take the route that the closer circuits are packed together then the more electronic interference is incurred thus the lower the quality of sound (discounting shielded circuits). I would definately go for quality and future-proofing - sometimes over convenience.

Go for the off board processor (in the AV amp) and IMHO I would just buy a dedicated AV processor/amp, not a receiver (increased circuitry and all that compromise) and run the decoding through the amp.

"Go for quality and do not be tempted to the dark side by flashing lights whistles and luminescent graphic dislpays.... for help they can not" (in a very old Jim Henson voice).

Sherwood - my comments are as per Timnh

------------------
    If you're gonna shoot... shoot! don't talk.