1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Built-in Decoder/amplifier!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by windypc, Jul 7, 2004.

1. windypc

windypc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI everyone, this is my first post on this forum, and my first venture into the AV world in general (so :lease: excuse my ignorance).

I am currently replacing my Philips PW32 CRT TV with a Toshiba WH46 and am looking to purchase a all-in-one sound system.

Someone told me recently that if I purchase an 'all-in-one' system, where the DVD contained the amplifier and/or decoder that I would have to keep the DVD on (ie. not in standby mode).

Is there any truth in this, and if so, can you recommend a solution for me.

I am currently considering the following:
    Toshiba WH46 RPTV
    Sony SB100

These will complement my exising equipment, namely:
    Philips VCR (keeping my existing one in meantime).
    Sky Digibox.

Thanks very much in avance,

Peter

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ? If it's an all-in-one system than everything is powered on when you switch it on. Of course you can switch it off / to stand-by when not in use.

Not if I understood you correctly.

Ensure that the all-in-one system provides sufficient connectivity then, though perhaps you are better served with a seperates system.

3. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'all in one' systems tend to have insufficient connections if you take into account:

Freeveiw box

Sky box

VCR

DVD recorder

Camera

Games machines

TV sound

Mots of the one box jobs I've had have run out of sockets almost straight away.

Stick to separates and a speaker package - you get better facilities and sound

4. windypc

windypc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Reiner,
    I don't know if I am in the correct Forum or not. What I really want is a system that gives me Surround sound from my DVD, TV, and Sky Digibox. If I purchase an all-in-one system, would this fulfil my needs? Or would I be better to buy a DVD upgrade system.

5. windypc

windypc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So are yo saying that an all-in-one system should have connectors for all the other equipment? In other words if I want surround sound on a piece of equipment, then I have to connect it directly to the amplifier?

So, for example if I want to have surround sound on my Sky channels, the sky box has to connect directly to the amplifier (on the all-in-one system). And if I want surround sound on my VCR I have to connect it directly yo the amplifier?

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes. And check carefully that the output of your existing equipment matches the inputs on the all-in-one.

Yes, that's correct. Though note that your VCR does only provide DPL (Pro-Logic) surround sound, not Dolby Digital or DTS. An analog connection (stereo) is therefore sufficient.
    Not sure about the Skybox, does it have a digital out to provide a DD stream?
    This can be either coaxial or optical - the all-in-on box/amplifier must then have a matching input.

The video can be connected directly to the TV, given sufficient inputs, or switched via the all-in-one/amplifier. Again here you need to check the connectivity and note that this usually limits you to the lowest common denominator unless the all-in-one / amplifier can do video conversion.