Buildings with shared Sky dish

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Liam @ Prog AV, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Mate of mine is moving into his new flat today and sky have just told him they won't go anywhere near it because it has a shared dish which is distributed to each flat. I've not had a chance to check it out myself but does anyone know if there's any way I can get Sky to supply a box free of charge on the interactive discount thingy and just have 'em not install it?

If he's gotta buy one it'll have to be second hand cos the move has cost him a fortune! Any models to look out for or good places to buy second hand before I go to the classifieds?

Thanks for any help!!

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The subsidy apples to the installation costs, so if you do not want installation there is no subsidy to take into account as the digibox is a free gift:)
    SKY thererfore won't supply a box only under a subsidised install for that reason and I suspect for warranty issues since half the system will not have been installed by them making any reception problems inpossible for them to fix easily. They are not legally allowed to touch a communal system even with permission for the flat owner since they only rent the system from a third party and aservice contract is already in place.
    Perhaps the communal system installer can supply "cheap" hardware, barring that you
    can find "used" digiboxes on ebay for around £50 depending upon age and brand new boxes for around £100. Always worth askign the local independent if they have any stock to shift, cancelled orders etc or shall we say "creative invoicing" which leaves them with stock:)

Panasonic even though they do have a few quirks seem to be well thought of, the latest PACE and Amstrad models are proven and the Thomson isn't a slouch. There is little to choose between them to be honest.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    That's all I needed to hear thanks!! And over to the classifieds forum I go...