1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building your own digital recorder?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Hex, May 26, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Hex

Hex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just one of them sunday (post drunken night out) thoughts.

The TIVO (a great piece of kit by all acounts) is a digital recorder plus a lot of other functionality, but and my question how easy would it be to make such a device that recorded tv etc like the TIVO from off the shelf parts etc and how much would it cost!??

my brief understanding of th TIVO is thats its a LINUX machine with a 40 gig HD using a MPEG encoding (off the top of my head not sure which-easy to find out though) so these are easily available

now how easy would it be to put some more kit together to create a digital recorder?

It would have to be quite, be able to stay on just about all of th time, be unobtrusive in looks and function

while also trying to keep the cost low!?

theres the question, now wheres the answer :)

Hex

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    More than a Tivo unless you have all the parts already and the know how, a Video capture card,HD or 2, MB, Processor, Ram, interface. TiVO is £200 +£200 for life sub so £400 quid, I think you'd be lucky to do better. have a look on HTPC I think they are getting to grips with this sort of thing.

3. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hex, before you go running to the patent office, the linux community have been on the case for a while now :) There's a linux app out there that acts as a video server, where you transfer your dvds to the hard disk in mpeg2 format (ones you made yourself, of course!) , and sends the signal to your display using a tivo/sky+ like interface. I remember a site devoted to this, but didn't take much notice at the time, but your locally available search engine should be able to find it quite easily.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    It'll be a PS2 PVR then!

5. Hex

Hex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I knew all this stuff would be done some where :)

no intntion of paterning the idea just thought it may be a worthy project from all the spare computer parts etc that I have laying about.

Plus my video is really really pap, and since buying a projector and a house I is a bit skint. and since I dont use the video I cant justify buying a new one while moneys still tight (not quite sure how I justified the projector but some how I did :) )

cheers I shall now go serach through the linux community and se what they've been up to

cheers

Hex