1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building up a 5.1 speaker system!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by craynerd, Aug 17, 2005.

1. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, i`m learning all this so stick with me please. Basically i`m getting a new house in about a month and i`m looking on seting up a home cinema system for when i get in, BUT due to my low budget i have decided to go and get stuff week by week! Let me just say; i haven`t started buying anything yet so please interupt if you think i should change anything!

With regards to the tv, i`m gonna go for a lcd, 32" but i think that`ll be the last thing i buy, so i`m not worrying about that right now as the price will probably drop by the time i get it. However it WILL be HD ready, maybe the panny lxd500 something like. Next the av reciever, i have heard a lot of good things about the CA AZUR 540, so its between that or the denon 1905 or yahamaha systems! I think tho, its gonna be the azur, so lets take it at that! CD player, i`ll get the matching azur probably or otherwise the matching cd to whatever unit i get and dvd player i thinki`ll get the panny dvds97. OK so thats the setup, and now i`m in the speaker forum i`ll come to the main question.

As i have said, i`ll be buying these things from next week a bit at a time. MY question is, can i do the same with the 5.1 speaker system? What is a 5.1 system consist of, is it two sterio front speakers then what are the rest? Basically could i get two floor stand sterio speakers one week then slowly add to it to build up the surround system?

I will probably be looking it around £250 for the sterio floorstand speakers, then a further £300 for the rest of the system!!!

Would this work, or am i talking rubbish, does a 5.1 system not even include stereo speakers!????

Chris

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    If you are going for a 5.1 system and looking to spend £250 on the fronts and £300 on the remaining 3.1 I think you are going to run into problems - the matching centre (which is very important - there are plent of other threads on why) will probably be in the region of £100-£150 which would only leave you £100-£150 for both the rear speakers and the sub. A £100 sub is simply not going to hack it with £250 fronts.

My main word of caution over buying over time is to look into how long ago the speakers were released. I ran into problems when doing the same as yourself that my speakers were discontinued when I was part the way through buying them and so tracking down the rest of the matching speakers were difficult. This also potentially rules out the end of line special offers on speakes.

3. Petey

Petey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have a 5.1 system for sale. The main speakers are Definitive Technology and the sub is a Rel Strata.

If you can stretch your budget to £750 they're yours.

System comprises of:

2x BP10
    2x BP2X
    1x CLR2002

1x Rel Strata

Check out the website
    http://www.definitivetech.com/

4. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry, i really am pushing at £500!

Another question, is a 5.1 system made of 5 matching speakers or what i dont understand. I took it that you had two sterio speakers at the front and the other 3 (??) speakers were different "types" of speakers? OR is a 5.1 just made of 5 identical speakers plugged in the correct channels with regards to their position?
    Obviously i`m not including the sub, but i understand the principle of that!

Chris

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Either are valid for the "5" of a 5.1 setup - either you can have 5 identical speakers or you can frequently buy specially designed speakers for centre/ rear.

Centres are usually optimized for dialogue and frequently designed to fit under a screen so are longer and thiner cabinated than you would normally get.

Rears are often bi or di polar speakers to give greater sense of being enveloped in the sound though this does mean that imaging suffers. For films bi/di polar tend to be considered better but for multichannel music mono-poles are certainly the winners (normal speakers)

6. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    You should try to go for speakers from the same range particularly the 3 fronts its quite common to use smaller rears from the same range if your using larger speakers at the front ie floor standing.Matching the sub wont matter in quite the same way. To be honest at the price range your looking to spend it may be best to buy an all in one package have a look at somewhere like www.superfi.co.uk they have packages including a sub for under 500quid your main problem i would think will be how good the stereo performance will be as your trying to buy a lot of speaker for not that much

7. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheer Docta! Just had a look at that site and its helped me understand much better!

What do you recon to this setup, its cheapish but the sperates get good ratings!!

Wharfdale Diamond 8.3 (floorstanders) - online £120 !!
    Wharfedale Diamond 9.CC Centre - £99
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Total =£219

Just like i was saying, thats one weeks budget, and i can listen to stereo for a few weeks while i save up some more cash and get 2 rears...like the matching
    WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.SR SPEAKERS or WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.DFS DIPOLE SPEAKERS

SO guys, how does that sound? I will be running it through either the cambridge audio 540r or the denon 1905 av recievers (not decided yet, wrong forum but any opinions which?). Whichever i get i`ll more than likely get the matching cd and or dvd player.

I`m not that far of actually going out and buying it and i would rather know your opinions before i went and spent the money only to find the system is preforming worse than an all in one "hollywood" in a box system.....which i still havent ruled out yet!

Chris

8. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The diamond range have been going for donkeys and have tended to get very good reviews the current 9s are rated the only thing i wouldnt be sure about would be how well the 8.3s would match in.
    Think you have the right idea buying a bit at a time however you may find that you go over budget when you reach the point where its time to buy a sub

9. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It is very possible that with some reasonable fronts you will not really need a center speaker. This way you can buy somewhat better speakers. Of course it is always nice to have the option to add one later on.

10. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What would you class as reasonable fronts?

I mean the warfdale 8.3 are only £120 BUT get a 5star rating in what hifi -s&V.

The 9.1s also get a top rating and are buzzed about by everyone BUT i really wanted some floor standers, and i know EVERYONE will gringe when i say this but they are going in a living room, so they have to be "tReNdY" lol, and fit in.....can you recommend anything ...? got to be slim, or relatively thin and beach or silver

Chris

11. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bump.....anyone?

12. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Personally i wouldnt think of missing the center. and as for what hi fi dont think many people on here tend to care wath they say

13. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Get the CA540r (not the 1905) - and that's that!

As for the speakers - since you're budgeting week by week - save up the money from the 1st week & then, with the money from the 2nd week, buy a pair of Monitor Audio B4 - £315 but you won't be sorry. Keep using them for as long as you can till you save up for the matching center (£117) and the bipolar rears (£180) - forget the sub till you can afford the BK XLS200 @ £280, anyway the B4 will have some interesting bass (direct all bass under 80hz to them).

Or you could get the B2 & stand mount them - should cost £240 (including stands).

Just don't be to anxious to get it over and done with!

14. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    craynerd, I don't know these speakers, I was just giving a general hint. I currently have 4 identical speakers surrounding me (fronts and surrounds) and it sounds GREAT. Just go and compare in shops and elsewhere to see what you want, and if you want to buy it all in one go.