Building Regulations - converting garage into cinema

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
I had to have a window for the same reason. I built stud framing and openable panels Details in my build thread in my sig below.
My room would fail building regs for the same reason. I am concerned about it, and I was watching the build of a really good cinema installer on youtube, and they worked in a room which would also fail for the same reason. The room only had one means of entry/exit before the company installed a cinema, so it wasn't their fault, and I guess if they're not changing anything structural then they don't need to think of building regs.

I really don't want to fix the issue, so I'm planning extra smoke alarms and fire extinguishers to lessen the risk.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
We converted our integral garage into a music teaching studio, so sound proofing and ventilation needed to be right.

We removed the garage door and built in a window. This is a triple glazed unit and is mounted on a flexible closed cell foam strip rather than the more usual solid mount and spray foam. This gives excellent sound attenuation and can still be opened for fresh air if required.

The room is built on a floating floor, created using wooden beams laid on high density foam pads. The internal walls were then built onto this, with all interfaces with existing structures insulated with more closed cell foam. The ceiling is constructed off the walls and has acoustic hoods over the lights and plenty of rockwool packed into the void.

The original doorway into the house was bricked up and a new doorway from the hall added. The original fire door was used, with the fire stop insulation bolstered with a 2 piece seal all around the door.

We didn't fit air con due to cost constraints, but the room can be adequately ventilated through the window when required.

With the doors and window closed, piano and clarinet cannot be heard, with even loud instruments like saxophone barely audible from other rooms, even in the bedroom above.

The total build was about £12K 5 years ago, and we had no issue with building regs and inspections during the build.

A neighbour did something similar, but retained the garage door and an area about 8' deep to store his bike. The remaining 16' or so he turned into a utility room without any windows or exit points. He did it all himself and didn't get / follow building regs. All was good until he sold the house and couldn't provide any of the paperwork for any of the work, including electrical inspection and moving a gas pipe. It's cost him quite a bit and delayed the house sale to get the work inspected, so just be aware if you plan to circumvent any regs.

ashenfie

We converted our integral garage into a music teaching studio, so sound proofing and ventilation needed to be right.

We removed the garage door and built in a window. This is a triple glazed unit and is mounted on a flexible closed cell foam strip rather than the more usual solid mount and spray foam. This gives excellent sound attenuation and can still be opened for fresh air if required.

The room is built on a floating floor, created using wooden beams laid on high density foam pads. The internal walls were then built onto this, with all interfaces with existing structures insulated with more closed cell foam. The ceiling is constructed off the walls and has acoustic hoods over the lights and plenty of rockwool packed into the void.

The original doorway into the house was bricked up and a new doorway from the hall added. The original fire door was used, with the fire stop insulation bolstered with a 2 piece seal all around the door.

We didn't fit air con due to cost constraints, but the room can be adequately ventilated through the window when required.

With the doors and window closed, piano and clarinet cannot be heard, with even loud instruments like saxophone barely audible from other rooms, even in the bedroom above.

The total build was about £12K 5 years ago, and we had no issue with building regs and inspections during the build.

A neighbour did something similar, but retained the garage door and an area about 8' deep to store his bike. The remaining 16' or so he turned into a utility room without any windows or exit points. He did it all himself and didn't get / follow building regs. All was good until he sold the house and couldn't provide any of the paperwork for any of the work, including electrical inspection and moving a gas pipe. It's cost him quite a bit and delayed the house sale to get the work inspected, so just be aware if you plan to circumvent any regs.
Yes, solicitors will pick up these issue and I thought I had everything right with building regs and my conservatory. Build control interpreters the rules differently due to my once new build having a separate garage when contacted and said therefore my conservatory was too big. Go figure!

ufo550

Concur with above.

After I closed my electrical business, I was still getting calls from ex clients who had not kept their electrical certifications and notifications in a safe place, and fell foul when selling their properties.

Having sold my property recently, there is a legal document given to you by your solicitor, which asks all these sort of questions, which requires signing as truthful.

You can of course just lie, and take the consequences.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom