1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

building regs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by chooch, Oct 13, 2002.

1. chooch

chooch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi about to start a cinema in the back third of my garage the internal dimensions are 15 m by 3 m i have beeen informed i need building regs i find this a bit harsh has anyone had similar problems

cheer s

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    since when do you need building regulations to effectively redecorate? Are you extending or anything?

ad

3. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may have done this already, but, contact the planning dept. of your local council and ask them what the criteria is before you require Planning Permission rather than telling them what you are going to do (and have some half-wit advise you because they don't form the same image in their minds eye as you have planned).

After speaking to friends it seems that all our councils were roughly the same in their criteria for PP not required ie;

Max 3m high (flat roof) 4m pitched
    at least 5m from main building
    not to be used as a living space
    not built between main building and road
    not to cover more than 50% of available space
    and a few others

From your post it sounds as though you will be fitting out an existing building with no structural alteration, effectively decorating as some one else says. Cant see why you need PP for that??

4. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Planning and building regs are completely different things !

You'll probably need building regs for a garage to home cinema, as its a change of use - A garage is not a normally habitable room.

Building regs cover stuff like fire, thermal insulation, acoustic insulation, accessibility and suitability of use.

Planning is primarily concerned with external appearances, you probably won't need these if its all internal, however if your unsure, its always worth asking *THEM* if you need it just to cover your rear:D

cya,
    Lee

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so you have to ask permission to stop sound leakage to your surroundings?! if you ask me, that is plain stupid. You own the house, why should you have to ask council what you are allowed to do in it! Personally id get very annoyed.......in case you didnt notice!

ad

6. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I converted my Garage to a HC and I did need Building Reg approval, it is as Alaric said due to change of use.

I guess also that by the nature of what it is, a Garage has a door, ie and exit but if you brick it up or put a window in, the exit has gone!!

It is just a formality and costs peanuts, although why you should have to pay if the Garage is integral is a mystery?

Steve

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    but still, why should yu have to ask at all?

ad

8. nc30andy

nc30andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The purpose of the building regs system is to stop people putting up substandard houses and extensions all over the place. Things like houses that are deathtrap fire hazards, buildings with poor insulation that waste energy, inadequately engineered structures, etc. They are not just to protect the current owner but also future owners of the property. Changing an existing non-habitable room or building into a habitable one comes under their purview just as constructing a new building or extension does.
    The building regs may seem unnecessarily heavy-handed sometimes but the aim is a commendable one I think.
    ...Andy

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hmmmmm. In my case a garage conversion would involve noting more than a lick of paint and whatever projector hangings are needed. I dont think anyone should have the right to tell me whether i can do this.

ad

10. chooch

chooch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes excellent thanks for the input u r correct in that i dont need pp just the building regs couch potato i would be very interested in some more info off u in that area my garage is 36 foot long by 15 foot wide but am only using the back fifteen foot so do i need to get plans drawn and do some block work i.e make it double skined thanks in advance hoping to get it up and running by 1 december so ill start taking the before pics now lol

11. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Buns - Sorry if you think its wrong, however i really would advise you to ask them if you need it, if they say no, get it in writing and your fine. Not checking, may mean if they find out you could be forced to undo all your hard work at your own cost. It really is a lot less hassle just to play the system however fair it is.

BTW i know what i posted was correct, as i had my wife dictating it to me, she is a fully qualified architect (hence the non-commital maybe's) and deals with both planning and building regulaly

cya,
    Lee

12. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently making what was a car-port (stone pillars and a slate roof) into a room which, when funds allow will be my home cinema.
    Planning permission was not needed but the work needed building regs approval which cost approx £200 I think.
    A plan drawn by yourself will suffice along with the application to the local council.
    I expect you will have to comply with Part L of the building regs which means you will need to insulate the room correctly, my specs were 4" in the cavity walls, 10" in the roof space and 2" in the floor.
    I hope to have my room finished for Christmas but doubt Santa will be able to afford a projector this year :(

13. chooch

chooch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a vision of what it will look like and am raring to go but like someone said if i play fair and get approval i wont suffer when its up and running im starting with a nice room and prewiring for upgrades in the future but am only starting with a seleco 150 ...yes i know they are old but i was trained on them and have got the set up jsut rite and it gives a excellent picture i know really i should start maybe better but i the room is nice and done rite when i get the funds i will be able to upgrade when needed im ;) i just will have to get the builder in tommorow to explain what ids needed to complie with building regs for a habitable room and go from there :p

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Alaric:

i didnt mean to sound like i was questioning you. sorry! :D I can believe this to be true and i'll take you word. I just dont like it! I have enough anger towards such people already, they waste peoples time just to justify their existance! anyhow, enough is enough and i wont make comment of it again.

15. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope it all goes to plan for you. My room has taken alot more effort and money than first expected so allow a decent percentage for overspend! Worst job was having to dig down 8' for the infill wall foundations :eek:
    I'm sure the builder will point you in the right direction with regards building regs. but if you need to know more about the regs you will find a link from
    here