• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

building regs insulation advice

jeepster1961

Standard Member
hi all, going to convert our garage in a couple of months, have had a couple of quotes from builders, we want the rear access door into the garage bricked up and a inner leaf to the wall created inside the garage with insulation. then a door created rfom the house into the garage.

i want to keep the up and over garage door and then build a stud wall inside the door and insulate that, a couple of builders have said that it will be difficult to get u values for such a construction, has anyone done something similar, or am i better off getting a builder to build a cavity wall to block in the garage door.

i am going to batten the other wall and insulate myself, whats the most effective way of doing that? i guess i will need to give building control calculations for my insulation, can the insulation supplier provide those ? such as celotex.

john_b

Established Member
You are opening a can of worms here, you will need building regulations approval from your local authority. As I understand it, The space will become regarded as "habitable" and therefore will require bringing upto current building regulations not just in terms of insulation. I think you could do the conversion on a "Building Notice" (not full Planning Permission) best thing to do is run a sketch by your local planner.

The sketch will also be usefull for pricing by your builders so there is no argument about what was and was-not included at the end of the job.

I presume from what you say you will keep the up-and-over-door but it will not be usable i cannot remember the u-value you will have to achieve in the walls but you should be able to do it with a stud-in construction filled with insulation manufacturers values on internet.

Is your garage detached or integral if detached it may not have a Damp Proof Membrane in the floor and also no insulation, cold and damp.

hope this helps

jeepster1961

Standard Member
hi, the rest of the work is pretty straightforward as a mate has had his converted, just that in his place he has removed the garage door and replace with a brick wall and dg window.

the only complication is the garage door and wether to get the builder to build a cavity wall behind the door then add celotex and battens then plaster board to the wall.

just wondering what everyone else had done

robh2002

Established Member
Current building regs require a u value of 0.35 W/m^2K - which is easy enough to obtain with the many types of phenolic foam/pasterboard/brick/mineral wool available so insulation is not really a problem at all - once you've persuaded your builder to do it.

As the previous poster mentions, building regs due to converting the garage to a habitable space will be important and this will then have an influence on house contents insurance.

Up shot of all this is speak to the council!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom