Building question?

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I had a quote done to lay down some cement on out patio wich is 3 x 3 meters to smooth it over so I can tile it and they quoted me just over £1300 is that the going rate?

I also asked then to quote me on bricking up a door way and they quoted me £900 for that.

I thought these prices were a bit to much we are getting more quotes but is the kind of pricing I can expect from other companies in London?

I know I'm in Scotland, but even for London that sounds ridiculously expensive. When I built my garage (5m x 3m) I prepped the base myself and got three cubic metres of concrete delivered for about £250 - that was enough to give me a base 6 inches deep. I just tamped it down myself, and it turned out fine.

Even at London prices, I would have thought you wouldn't need to pay much more than half of that £1300 quote for getting someone in to do that job.

I did think it was a bit too expensive it's just a thin layer we need to smooth it over as the concrete at the moment is quite uneven and full of stones sticking out

I run a building company in Central London. Those prices seem kinda high. What exactly are they doing for the £1300? Are they supplying the slabs? What is currently in the area you want to place the patio.

£900 for bricking up a doorway. Does that include making good ie skimming the walls, reinstating skirting and decoration of walls? If so then this price is fair as it will need multiple visits due to drying times of the motar, plaster (render if any has been quoted for), paint.

I am by no means an expert on DIY matters but cant you just lay down some sand and level it,then lay the slabs on that? You dont just lay slabs on top of concrete do you?
Like I said , Im no expert...if it involves anything other than a hammer , its out of my depth :D

I am by no means an expert on DIY matters but cant you just lay down some sand and level it,then lay the slabs on that? You dont just lay slabs on top of concrete do you?
Like I said , Im no expert...if it involves anything other than a hammer , its out of my depth :D

I agree, a sand base is ok only if you have the slabs pushed together with no gaps. Or if you separate them you will hav to use mortar to fill in the gaps.

as far as the patio goes it's just bare uneven concrete at the moment so we just a smooth level of cement laid ontop so we put the tiles ontop of it. As for the dooway it will just be brick work and plaster as we are extending the kitchen counter space so no need for decoration. I have called some other places to come give a quote so I'll see how we get on there

as far as the patio goes it's just bare uneven concrete at the moment so we just a smooth level of cement laid ontop so we put the tiles ontop of it. As for the dooway it will just be brick work and plaster as we are extending the kitchen counter space so no need for decoration. I have called some other places to come give a quote so I'll see how we get on there

So they are charging you £1,300 for a concrete slab? No supplying or laying of patio slab/tiles?

The doorway price is a bit high. I would of said you could of got this done for around the £600 mark. If they are rendering this wall and then plastering it then the £900 price is more justified. The builders might have to build up the wall with a few coats of plaster to match your existing walls, this will also add to the price.

Also have you been recommended these builders? Is their standard of work high? Prices vary allot in the building trade as does the standard of these works. Is a guarantee being offered with these works? Have you tried negotiating?

Can you scan their quote and post it up here along with a few pictures, this will help work out if their price is fair.

Last edited:
Well, I have phoned some other places and am getting some more people to come and give us some quotes during next week.

I'm sure we can get the patio done for a much more reasonablt price than that. I was expecting closer to the £600 mark for it.

Can you scan their quote and post it up here along with a few pictures, this will help work out if their price is fair.

They came around and looked at the things we wanted done then phoned back the day later with the costs. I would have expected something on paper through the post or at least for them to write it up here when they were looking around.

They came around and looked at the things we wanted done then phoned back the day later with the costs. I would have expected something on paper through the post or at least for them to write it up here when they were looking around.

If its not in writing dont proceed. You need to know what exactly you are getting for your money. I would also suggest that a contract be produced by them outlining their terms and conditions.

If its not in writing dont proceed. You need to know what exactly you are getting for your money. I would also suggest that a contract be produced by them outlining their terms and conditions.

To be honest, I'll just get some other places to come around, that guy that was here didnt leave such a good feeling, especially the fact that they couldnt give me a price when they were here but phoned up 2 days later with the price.

I've got some other people that I found on Yell.com coming around throughout next week to come look and quote.

especially the fact that they couldnt give me a price when they were here but phoned up 2 days later with the price.

That is normal practice. Although it is a small job I would be more worried if I was given a price on the spot. You might get a rough ball park figure but not a confirmed price.

Go for extra quotes, three is the norm. It also might be best to disregard that company totally if you didn't get a good feeling. :)

Last edited:
How thick is the slab if its to thin it will,crack are they removing the old slab ,also you can get a self leveling compound to do what you want and lay it yourself,

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom