• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Building question - two rooms joined

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I am looking at a few houses/bungalows where two rooms have been joined together, this one in particular:
upload_2015-12-5_18-50-12.png

As you can see there is quite a bit of wall and I would like the option of having a continuous space so...
Might it be possible to get this changed so there is very little (ideally none) of the wall in the middle of the room even if a visible beam is required?
Thanks.

Last edited:

jpringle

Hi you need To check whether the middle wall is load bearing ie supporting a wall or floor joists above. It is possible what you want but knowing what's above will determine what's involved Cheers John

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Thanks John, that clears things up a bit.
Just got to sell my place...

dracthelad

Even if load bearing it won't be a massive job beyond decorating if you accept a steel beam is needed. At around a 4-4.5m span you are looking at an 8x4 or maybe 8x5 1/4" steel universal beam. You might need a need a new concrete lintel over the doorway if it's timber due to the pad stone for the beam. Certainly 'doable' though.

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
It probably is load bearing but the wall on the right probably isn't so the new beam would need to extend over the passage? Obviously without being there it's hard to say.

dracthelad

It's more likely the floor joists span side to side, but as you say, it's difficult to know 100% without being there. Hallway walls are generally loadbearing on older houses though as it's likely the walls go up two storeys. It also makes for easier trimming of the stairs.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
It's a 1966 build bungalow so sounds like it can be dealt with by being sensible.
There are a couple of cosmetic things but I would be able to move in without them being done, enough options.

Steve N

Distinguished Member
We had the same done.
Ours was arch shaped which we had removed.
We had to have a metal RSJ fitted across where it had been removed.
we got a couple of quotes and the total cost was around £650 which I thought was pretty good.
The RSJ did mean leaving a visible beam. Also left a supporting upright (see left) this could have been flush to the wall but would have added considerably to the price.

Be back with photo
EDIT
Should have found my wide angle but gives the idea :(

001.jpg

Last edited:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Thanks Steve, I could live with that.

jpringle

It's a 1966 build bungalow so sounds like it can be dealt with by being sensible.
There are a couple of cosmetic things but I would be able to move in without them being done, enough options.
You need to check in the roof space that there aren't any purling pillars on the wall you are taking out If there are you will still need a beam for it. John

dracthelad

If it's a bungalow you're definitely ok. Even with purlins propped off the top of the wall it's a relatively light loading, so any beam can go full width side to side and is unlikely to need a post.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom