Building my own speaker boxes

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rossyl, Apr 5, 2005.

1. rossyl

rossyl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pair of modified very old KLH speakers.

I love their sound, and despite listening to many other speakers i have always stuck with these.

However THEY ARE UGLY AS SIN!

So I thought why not take out the innards and build a new case for them myself.

At the moment they are a bog standard rectangular box, MDF, with a dark wood veneer.

I am looking at making a box in this sort of design [​IMG]

I know that speaker boxes will no doubt make a difference to the sound...and i do not what the great sound i experince now to be lost.

I am going to keep the internal volume the same.

I was wondering what else I should look at

AND

What wood should i use. I do want it relatively cheap (i am just finishing uni = debt) but i would like a half decent grain. Moreimportantly a wood that would be good in terms of sound for speaker boxes.

Thanks

Ross

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ross, welcome to the forums :)

You'll have more luck over in the DIY forum, there's lots of self-builders there with friendly advice...but try searching first as there'll be a ton of info there already.

Good luck!

3. danburbridge

danburbridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not only will you want to keep the internal dimensions the same, but if the speakers are ported then the port will need to be the same length and area too.

As for what to make them from - MDF is the number one choice - easy to work with, not too resonant and shouldnt warp like real wood.

One of the best places to check out for this kind of stuff is www.diyaudio.com - some very good forums with specific sections for diy speakers and some extremely knowledgeable people there too.