Building my own PVR...

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by pix, Nov 2, 2004.

Tags:
  1. pix

pix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I've decided than none of the off-the-shelf PVRs I've seen will do all I want (or in the way that I want), so I'm going to build my own. I've written an article about it, and I'd be interested to hear any comments you might have. Mainly, have I missed out anything important!

Thanks.

2. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you looked at getting a PC running Microsoft media centre 2005 - it sounds like it will do most of what you want... recording programs based on key words etc...

Have a look on MS site for more.

Reg

3. pix

pix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a copy to try out (we are a system builder), but I wont be able to put together a complete system including license for £400 quid - it requires quite hefty hardware.

4. macta

macta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know - I've come to the same conclusion...

I'm pretty sure that I can do the software - its just picking out the hardware - bearing in mind it has to be quiet!

I'm also a bit confused about how you hook up said device reliably to a wide screen TV, and how you get good audio output too.

The digiMatrix box looked good - but its micro pci slots rule out freeview tv cards, the Asus Pundit looks good - but is it quiet enough (and will it dish out decent quality audio and video).

Its quite a mine field but I'm interested in comparing notes.

Too really keep the price down you may have to ditch windows - so maybe use Linux or potentially just use a raw VM on the hardware (squeek os might be good or kaffe?)

Tim

5. Teapot

Teapot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out MythTV It does most of what you want, at a price. You need some Linux expertise though.

OR

How about taking a Thomson DHD4000, stick it in a nicer case with a 120Gbyte hard drive and the usual quiet PC mods.

6. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    If you want near silence, you will have to go for passive water cooling or a VIA Epia based system. The Epia's are not high powered in the sense of a AMD 64 but have hardware dvd decoding built in and have a very small form factor. The CN400 chipset has Mpeg2 and 4 acceleration, DVI output and HDTV support as well.

7. pix

pix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at the EPIA kit, but I will need 2 PCI slots for 2 Freeview tuners, so I'm trying to work out what will cope.

Does anyone here have any EPIA kit?

8. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I take it you are including all your man hours it takes you to write you own software in the total cost....? I got a media centre PC for £699 from PC world with 17in tft so minus monitor would work out not much more......

Why re-invent the wheel? :confused:

9. Teapot

Teapot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 slot riser card

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=8#p1902

I have used Mini-ITX boards to run MythTV. It's a bit pricey if you buy the fancy cases, but the boards themselves aren't bad.

10. Teapot

Teapot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I'm a Linux bigot. I bought a Windows Media Centre PC for evaluation, I don't think it's quite there yet. But i agree with you 110%, Windows OR Linux, why re-invent the wheel?

I'd recommend a Thomson DHD 4000 for PVR, it has two tuners for 159 quid, I own one, and a Mini-ITX for MP3s and photo with MythTV (or WinXP if you like). Then you can use a nice low-end Mini-ITX and be happy, 'cos tuner PCI cards cost much money.

11. Teapot

Teapot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've built a Mini-ITX that is near perfectly quiet.

Change the CPU heatsink and ditch the fan. Stick a Zalman motherboard heatsink on the CPU.

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/vgamb.php#zmnbj

More importantly, if you use a Seagate drive with cover plates top and bottom, stuff it in one of these and you hear nothing.

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/harddrive.php#silentdrive

I put this together at work in February and ran it 24/7 till June, no noise and it didn't die on me.

12. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    That's a bit pedantic, you can make a Athlon FX55 silent if you are prepared to add the appropriate bits.

13. pix

pix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Teapot - I am certainly considering MythTV as I'm happy to fiddle about with stuff if I can end up with just what I want. I've found supported Freeview tuners on ebay (new OEM) for around £35, so the cost of them isn't a problem. Mind you, if I could find a supported twin tuner PCI card, all the better.

14. Teapot

Teapot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a good price. Got a URL or a model number? I want to get into MPEG editing so something like that to experiment with would be very nice at 35 quid!

15. Teapot

Teapot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Huh? What's wrong with posting a couple URLs? No offence taken or intended, just curious about "pedantic".

16. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Teapot

In my first comment, I didn't think it necessary to give a description of how to make a system silent, the words 'near silent' were enough, describing how was where the pedantry came in. No offence intended either. :)