Building my own floating wall

It's good paint, but I used a big sheepscoatroller, which might not be the best for a MDF-wall. Furthermore the white base tends to shine through, so I'll let the 3 layers dry for now and will be putting a fourth layer on later this week. (probably with a smaller but better roller)

yea might be worth trying a fine roller- i ditched the big sheepskin one that the roller came with.

I now have three layers of red undercoat, no grey undercoat is going to beat that finish! ;)

The finish and colour looks really good in the last photo :smashin: How do you think it looks now? Has it growen on you now?

Every time I paint something I hate the colour! When I striped my floor boards and stained them a dark brown I was horrified at how dark it was. But when I got all the furniture and finishing touches in they just totally transformed the colour of the floor.

Maybe once you've finished your room your and you have some contrasting items in the same will be true for you.

Looks great to me :thumbsup:

The colour is fine, it was never questioned, but it is hard to get right on film...

Last picture for today, of earlier today:
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF0550.jpg
    DSCF0550.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 9,796
Sorry I lied, this is the last one:
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF0574.jpg
    DSCF0574.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 5,129
I would put some horizontal beams across in my opinion.

Also, you sure about the 80mm overhang? I've built a floating wall (albeit not for a tv) and have a 50mm overhang which seems to give a nice light around it, any wider I think the light wouldnt cast far enough out to give a nice glow. Just a thought anyways. Looking good though :smashin:

Sorry for crappy picture but this is with a 50mm overhang. (excuse the non-matching bed sheets!)

Sorry to hijack the thread! But I really like the idea of this bedroom wall. Can you provide any more information on how to achieve this look please? Sorry, not AV related as such.

I really like the look of these floating walls in general actually, think the main one in this thread looks really good.

Ok made a movie of the rope lights and uploaded it to Youtube:

Youtube of the tube lights...

hey your floating wall looks amazing!!! im currently in the process of building mine and have to get the rope lights sorted today, i love the idea of being able to control the brightness of the light like you have done so, im going to TLC at lunch to pick my rope light up and would love to pick up the bits to dim the light , what would i have to order to do this?
sorry for the long post i just love your video of the light s in action!!!!!
any help would be great

thanks luke

hey your floating wall looks amazing!!! im currently in the process of building mine and have to get the rope lights sorted today, i love the idea of being able to control the brightness of the light like you have done so, im going to TLC at lunch to pick my rope light up and would love to pick up the bits to dim the light , what would i have to order to do this?
sorry for the long post i just love your video of the light s in action!!!!!
any help would be great

thanks luke

Luke, since the rope-lights are normal 230V lights, you are able to corntole them with a normal dimmer. I've used a remote controlled one from a dutch brand. Just ask for a dimmer at TLC, when you're over there...

Luke, since the rope-lights are normal 230V lights, you are able to corntole them with a normal dimmer. I've used a remote controlled one from a dutch brand. Just ask for a dimmer at TLC, when you're over there...

hey thanks for that!!!
thats great news, thanks for the fast reply too!

I have these lights but are using them on the back of my beds headboard, which dimmer would i need for these to work? (Inline dimmer, any links to any?)

Dont think i can use a remote dimmer as wouldnt that need to be wall mounted?? I want to be able to switch them on off/dim from the side of the bed

Any help much appreciated

I have these lights but are using them on the back of my beds headboard, which dimmer would i need for these to work? (Inline dimmer, any links to any?)

Dont think i can use a remote dimmer as wouldnt that need to be wall mounted?? I want to be able to switch them on off/dim from the side of the bed

Any help much appreciated

I' using the following dimmer. Sorry the site is in dutch...

This supplier also has wall switches that sent the remote signal. those would be perfect to use with the bedboard.

In this picture you can see the dimmer used:
img_0654-jpg.129817

id like to be able to dim the lights behind the headboard like yours though, are they hard to fit? do they attach to a wall etc?

Many thanks for your advice

id like to be able to dim the lights behind the headboard like yours though, are they hard to fit? do they attach to a wall etc?

Many thanks for your advice

No they are not hard to fit, the dimmer has power-in and power-out and a button to link it to the remote: http://www.klikaanklikuit.nl/product_detail.asp?id=49

For the remote you can use this: url=http://www.klikaanklikuit.nl/product_detail.asp?id=32 or url=http://www.klikaanklikuit.nl/product_detail.asp?id=43 or even url=http://www.klikaanklikuit.nl/product_detail.asp?id=31

If you can't find such a system in England, you might wan't to try and drop an email at [email protected] requesting where to buy in England or if they will ship it to you...

Last edited:
Nothing to update, since I ran out of paint for the 4th and final layer.

Here is just another picture with the TMA's and sofa's on their intended places:
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF0578.JPG
    DSCF0578.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 6,169
Look what the cat dragged in:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF0583.JPG
    DSCF0583.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 6,034
  • DSCF0584.JPG
    DSCF0584.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 5,988
  • DSCF0585.JPG
    DSCF0585.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 6,055
  • DSCF0586.JPG
    DSCF0586.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 6,034
Looking Good :thumbsup:

Ohh.....happy new sofa btw ;) :D

We ordered our new sofa last weekend........not comming till october (10/12 week wait) :eek:

Atleast i'll have finished the rest of the decorating by then :eek:

It look really f'in good.

Rope lights / Led around TVs / and other lights close to the TV.

I'm mental and I like to sit in the dark with just the tv or projector giving off light. I don't like any other lights to be seen. Can’t stand red leds on tvs glaring at me or the blue sky logo. It’s evil!
I see lots if DIY setups or Pro setups that have some sort of lighting in a place that I would consider a distraction.

Is it just for atheistic taste (which I’m fine about. If you want it have it) or is there another reason. I remember reading something about contrast being better on the Philips TV.

It does look very cool. I'd just never have it on when the TV is on.

Just read this thread, coming along nicely. Look forward to the next update. Seems like a lot of work for a floating wall but I guess that's because you are doing it to a very high standard. I'd consider doing something like this in my next place but I don't know if I'd have the skill or patience.

Are you going to be putting a projection screen in too? Seems a shame not to with such a good sized wall.

I seem to have the skill needed for construction, but seem to lack the patience or skills involved with painting. Finished the wall with structure paint now and still not happy with it.

This weekend I've finished the cabinets and installed the HTPC and Denon in them. I'll be ordering the spot lights later this weekend and will continue and finish the complete house before I look at the paint again (should have had it done by pro's).

Will be posting pictures later this week.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom