Building my first Rig(need help)

Xerukuta

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have decided to build my first Rig, im new to building a computer, so i am a little reluctant when it comes to this.. i have compiled a list on pcpartpicker on what rig im putting together, and i need some help on what i need to change, if any. Would what i put on the list be a good gaming rig? Or should i change things around.

Here is the list i have compiled

Intel Core i5-6600K, MSI GeForce GTX 980, Inwin GR One - My First Build - Xerukuta's Saved Part List - PCPartPicker

Again, feedback and tips would be amazing

Edit: i am being told i can downgrade my intel to the i5 4690k and i wont lose anything unless i was to run heavy programs and such. And that the r9 390 would be great to use for gaming for a few years.

Last edited:
I built my first this year, much lower spec mind and it was pretty easy. Looks fine to me but the experts will be along shortly.

Build looks very nice, if your budget can stretch to a 980 I would highly recommend it, purely because you seem to be going for high end components. Will allow you you to run games at a higher resolution, and will add longevity to the build.

Sadly, at the moment i dont think i can slurg that extra 120 bucks for the 980. I have thought about it, but the only games i am going to play are CS:go, CSS and a few other games

Yes and no - they may be a bit faster than a single 980, but xfire/sli is hotter, noisier and use more power. Since a graphics card is the most important item of a gaming pc, it always make financial sense to get the best you can afford.

But for the games you are aiming to play currently, then the card you have chosen is perfectly good :)

Being your 1st PC build, I would advise to maybe look into air cooling rather than liquid cooling your CPU. There are very effective fan based CPU coolers that will keep your processor cool. You may be able to use some of the savings to put towards a better graphics card like aslird said.

Being your 1st PC build, I would advise to maybe look into air cooling rather than liquid cooling your CPU. There are very effective fan based CPU coolers that will keep your processor cool. You may be able to use some of the savings to put towards a better graphics card like aslird said.

Depending on Air Cooler + Fans you could be looking at around the same price to cool your CPU anyway, not to mention you can clean the rad and fans of the cooler without having to remove it from the CPU itself which means cleaning + Re-applying paste.

If he was going for full water build I would probably agree but these coolers seem to be quite popular and very effective.

Depending on Air Cooler + Fans you could be looking at around the same price to cool your CPU anyway, not to mention you can clean the rad and fans of the cooler without having to remove it from the CPU itself which means cleaning + Re-applying paste.

If he was going for full water build I would probably agree but these coolers seem to be quite popular and very effective.

Valid point, I just checked the pricing list again and misread, thinking it was $175 not $75. Seems like a great deal.... Please ignore my 2 pence :)

So keep the cpu cooler i chose? I want to make this pc as effective as possible. The case i chose has 8 fans i believe?or can hold up to 8.. i also bought 2 extra fans just in case. Which arent listed because i bought them, and removed them from the list. Like i said, if i need to, i can find a way to get the 120. Im not buying all these at once, just a couple at a time, that i can afford. Tax return isnt that far off so that will pay for my processor and graphics card if i choose to go with the 980. Is there a better graphics card that i could possibly look into just in case i get more in my tax return then i thought?

Last edited:
What about the 6th gen i5 processors and mobo's. I have spec'ed an i5 6600, Z170 mobo and 8gb DDR4 2666 ram for £280.

There is no mobo on the sight for z170 that supports ddr4 sadly. I was able to find and switch to the 6600k and z170, switch to a 2666 ddr3 16gb ram, and made the switch to the 980 and still fall under budget!

Also if you see that my list is missing some items, it means i have already bought them. Wanted to apologize before the confusion set it haha

Last edited:
Are you sure.........I thought Z170's were all DDR4 with only a few supporting DDR3!

Im afraid so, every mobo on pcpartpicker all show ddr3 in their name, and even all the memory types in the specs show ddr3. Nothing about ddr4

Im afraid so, every mobo on pcpartpicker all show ddr3 in their name, and even all the memory types in the specs show ddr3. Nothing about ddr4

On Neweggs site there are a few DDR4 Z170 mobo's for around the $100 price. In fact nearly all the Z170's show as DDR4. Partpicker is out of date!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom