1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building my First HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by 9761, Jul 20, 2005.

1. 9761

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Just wanting to know will this setup be ok for TV, DVD's pictures, music etc basically all MCE2005 features!

SilverStone LC11 Case with 400W PSU
    Pentium 4 3.0c CPU
    1GB PC3200 Ram
    Abit IS-10 Mini-ATX Motherboard
    ATi 9800Pro Graphics Card
    M-Audio Revolution 5.1 PCI Sound
    250GB SATA HDD
    MCE 2005 OEM
    MCE Remote

How does that sound?

I havn't added a Tv card yet as im going to wait till dual tuner digital DVB-T cards are available.

The case only allows 3 slots 1 will be graphics, 1 will be sound card and that only leaves one. I have a pace twin anyway atm so I will use that for mean time.

2. 9761

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What do you guys think of the system?

3. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The LC11 comes with a 250 or 300W PSU - I'm not aware of a 400w PSU that will fit it.
    What will you be connecting to? I'd question the 9800Pro and replace it with a passivly cooled 9600 - if connecting to the TV this is more than powerful enough to play games at TV resolutions.

Don't know about that Abit, but they are pretty decent as a make.

which make of SATA were you looking at? Samsung Spinpoint or seagate barracuda 7200.8 would be my choice to keep the noise down

What make of opticcal drive you looking for? The Pioneer 109XL and the HP640 are very quiet drives; the NEC 3040's I'ver recently had are noisy as hell so I'd avoid those.
    An alternative the LC11 case is the CTL/mediaPC.tv case; it's exactly the same internally (upsideown m/board design etc.), but just has a difference fascia which allows for card readers, vfd, and event the MS remote receiver to be mounted internally. It's cheaper too, but doesn't have the machine aluminium fascia of the silverstone. Anyway it might be worth a look.

4. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might also be worth looking at a small IDE boot drive, not many sata drivers are in xp's build yet - of course, if you have a floppy drive you are all set ;)

5. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You shouldn't need SATA drivers - you only tend to need drivers if you're using RAID

6. 9761

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the input,

I allready have the 250GB SATA HDD here and its doing nothing so I'd though I would put that in there.

Now I've changed my mind on the case, as Ive found a cheap Coolermaster ATC 6200-SX1 for around £40 Im going to be getting that along with either Tagen 330w or X-Pro 400W PSU.

Thanks for the motherboard that one does look very good and I shall be getting that.

The graphics card, Ive been told by another forum to either look for a Geforce 6200 or 6600 because it has HDTV with component and has some other bonus and is also passive.

The TV it will be connected to will be a Toshiba 32ZP48P and I know its not HDTV ready TV but the graphics card has component out on it and my Tv has component so it would be the best way to connect it.

Thanks

7. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think sata controllers are native in the OS... worth digging more maybe.

8. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    On properly thought out bios's, SATA is made an extension of IDE and thus requires no additional drivers.

9. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well there you go... my abit must be pap then :)

10. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Unfortunaly many mainboards 'standard' SATA controller needs drivers that aren't on the Windows CDs.

I just left a floppy drive hanging out of my case until I had windows installed, then unplugged it but left the cables plugged in just in case I need them in the future :)

11. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I built my machine, imaged it, and rebuild of a usb key when needed - gets round the issue :)

12. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not saying there are some troublesome boards, but I've not installed SATA driver yet (and I've used many many different boards) - trick is configure it in the BIOS correctly.