Building HTPC

Ebolebola

I'm planning on building a HTPC sometime next year... I want it to be able to play Blu-ray and HDDVD in 720p. I was thinking about using these things:

Motherboard: MSI K9AGM2-FIH
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6 GHz
RAM: 2 x 1 GB something
HDD: WD Caviar SE 16 500 GB
Cabinet: Origen AE H7
PSU: ?
HDDVD: ?
Blu-Ray: ?

I'm a noob when it comes to these things, so any help will be much appreciated. Do I need anything besides the aforementioned stuff? How good will HD/BR playback be on a HTPC like this compared to standalone-players?

tinners

Novice Member
Motherboard: MSI K9AGM2-FIH
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6 GHz
RAM: 2 x 1 GB Corsair Twinx 6400
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint HD501LJ
Cabinet: Origen AE H7 (Nice case!)
PSU: Corsair 520W
HDDVD: Xbox one ?
Blu-Ray: Pioneer BDC202

will be fine for BR playback, same Gfx as F190HD - see here

You might like to check out my spec (see sig) as I think the E2160 / Fatality F190 could well be cheaper, or even the E2160 / Asus P5K / ATI 2400XT combo.

enablerbro1

Word of warning re the BDC-202, it doesn't currently like SB600 so be aware when looking for mobo.

Benq are apparently releasing a BDRom drive in September so it may be worth waiting to see what their pricing is and whether that has any compatability issues.

tinners

Novice Member
Word of warning re the BDC-202, it doesn't currently like SB600 so be aware when looking for mobo.

Benq are apparently releasing a BDRom drive in September so it may be worth waiting to see what their pricing is and whether that has any compatability issues.

....or go for a G33 motherboard like the Asus

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom