Building first gaming PC vs buying complete

Carp0331

Novice Member
I’m looking to build a gaming PC for my 14 yr old son for his birthday. I’ve recently researched and I’ve seen how crazy some of the prices have risen I assume thanks to Covid and supply. I’ve found a new archangel build that’s local to me that I’m debating on purchasing. Need some helpful advise as this is my first build. 1k budget

GPU - open to something that will do 60fps+
CPU - Ryzen 5600x
Motherboard - MSI - X570
Ram - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB
SSD - Samsung 1 tb
Power Supply - Corsair 750w
Case - open to suggestions
Cooling - open to suggestions

Attachments

• 989858A6-A0FC-4C63-AC72-4595BE853462.jpeg
    989858A6-A0FC-4C63-AC72-4595BE853462.jpeg
    765 KB · Views: 46

v2 API

Distinguished Member
I see you must be in the USA. Converted that's a little over £700.
I say that it's reasonable value given the current climate. I don't think you will get much better brand new building it yourself. 👍

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Will you be gaming at 1080p or higher? That will affect your GPU choice.

For your list:

RAM, you have 32GB but if you're looking to save money then 16GB is what most of us have.
Power Supply, things are tough at the moment. If you don't have a hungry GPU then 750W would be overkill (unless it's the same money). I've got a 3700X and 3070 and I have a 650W PSU.
Case, subjective obviously! I've just moved over to the Corsair 4000D Airflow and it's a good choice.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I'm a bit confused, the build in the picture is not like the specs you've listed, I don't think you'll get what you're looking for at $1000 using the picture as reference. But you could aim for 16GB RAM, 3060, etc to get closer..

I would say I've been through this loop recently and found it easier and possibly cheaper going the pre-built route. However, I did note the PC I sourced for my daughter back in January has gone up £200 when I last looked!

realfrankturner

Distinguished Member
I would say I've been through this loop recently and found it easier and possibly cheaper going the pre-built route. However, I did note the PC I sourced for my daughter back in January has gone up £200 when I last looked!
I think right now with prices and lack of stock it's more then worth going the pre build route even if you have to pay a little bit more for the convience.

Right now it's an awful time to be building a PC unless it's lower spec 1080p based.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom