building first desktop

R

raven evo

HEy guys im planning on building this system for my children before i make a gaming rig (kinda practise) never built a system before its gonna be used for internet surfing and maybe some homework running xp home.

Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L Intel P31 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard £39.99
(£46.99) £39.99
(£46.99)
Intel Celeron E1200 1.6Ghz Dual-Core Processor (LGA775) - Retail £25.99
(£30.54) £25.99
(£30.54)
OCZ 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series DDR2 (OCZ2P800R22GK) £29.99
(£35.24) £29.99
(£35.24)
Leadtek GeForce 8400 GS 256MB DDR2 HDTV/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail £23.99
(£28.19) £23.99
(£28.19)
Hitachi Deskstar 7K160 160GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM £24.99
(£29.36) £24.99
(£29.36)
Sony NEC Optiarc DDU1615S 16x SATA DVD-ROM (Black) - OEM £10.99
(£12.91) £10.99
(£12.91)
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g) £5.99
(£7.04) £5.99
(£7.04)
Akasa AK-ZEN-01-BK Zen Black Case - No PSU £29.99
(£35.24) £29.99
(£35.24)
OcUK Huntkey 450W PSU
i ge the feeling i could cut back on somethings though i do want it to be fast for what it does lol what do u guys think/are the componats compatible? i think they are :/ is the price right?

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
I concur with regards to the Celeron.

Personally it seems strange why you would pay £47 for a motherboard and then £28 on a pretty poor graphics card and not just buy this for only a bargain £54.57.

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G Socket AM2+

These have got superb onboard graphics, and does audio over HDMI and is also Matx.

Then use the £21 you will save to buy a decent AMD64 dual core.

You can buy the X2 3600 for £26 or you can buy this very decent CPU

AMD Athlon 64 X2 BE-2350 SKT AM2 Dual Core 1MB Cache Energy Efficient 45w Retail

For only £9 more than the terrible Celeron you have chosen.

I also would strongly advise buying a premium PSU, as this really is IMO the most critical part of the PC case.

As a suggestion you could buy this excellent Antec case containing a HQ PSU for £75

Antec Sonta III

You have not mentioned the price of the PSU but it may be about the same than buying the case and PSU separately, but here you will be getting high quality products.

R

raven evo

thanks guys i wasnt sure if any amd cpu's would fit the socket i really do have alot to learn in terms of building pc's but i have to learn i love pc's and gaming on them and cant keep paying over the odds at dell :/ and yeah this system is a kinda practise be for i spend alot more on a gaming rig so it is a budget system.

i will take your advice and get rid of the gpu and put the extra cash into a better cpu
ps: the psu cost £35 so the case with psu sounds like a good way to go :)

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I'm not recommending Antec but I would definitely say go for a good quality PSU.

You've also not listed an OS, do you plan to put Linux on here or do you have a windows licence that's not being used?

R

raven evo

im gonna run Xp home. lol im starting to feel abit over whelmed im sure its easy to build a pc once you have all the right parts to hand its just getting them :/ and this is only a budget system,oh well it will rock when i learn whats what,cant wait to build and overclock a gaming rig of my own

circuitmonkey

Standard Member
cant wait to build and overclock a gaming rig of my own

If you where to spend a bit more on the CPU, Motherboard, and Graphics, there's no reason why this rig couldn't be an introduction to overclocking and gaming all at the same time.
A good place to start would be to read this article on the $500 gaming machine.

Besides which those Celerons are normally considered socket caps (only suitable for sitting in the motherboard socket till you can afford to buy something better). However, the Pentium Dual E2180 will have more cache, and will overclock extremely well and the price difference is minimal.

As for the motherboard, have a look at either the one mentioned in the linked article, or one of the P35 chipsets from ASROCK, they seem to offer great value.

As for the 8400GS, its a very weak GPU for gaming, I only use mine to provide a multi monitor solution whilst my 8800 Ultra is busy rendering (i'm not suggesting that you buy an 8800 Ultra for this machine, that would be over kill, besiides which, the CPU would choke it) but if you want the machine for gaming an Nvidia 8600 or ATI(AMD) 2600 would be the lowest I'd go for.

Btw, you'll also need an after market CPU cooler as the Intel stock one isn't all that great

Hope this helps

Circuitmonkey

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom