Quantcast

Building Black Gold BGT3xxx DVB-T2 Drivers for Linux

DragonQ

Novice Member
I'm trying to compile on proxmox 5.2-1 (based on debian stretch 9.4) with kernel 4.15.17-2-pve and I get these errors:

SNIP

I don't understand the first warning and the first error because the include <linux/dvb/dmx.h> on demux.h works, but if I write the struct dms_caps definition on demux.h then no warning is informed.

Any idea?
I'm getting exactly the same error trying to build the drivers for Ubuntu Server 18.04 (kernel 4.15.0-23-generic). I've tried both the master branch and the cxd2837 fork but both produce the same errors during the build step. :(

I'm currently running MediaPortal TV Server on Windows and am wanting to experiment with a move to TV Headend on Linux, but I obviously can't get far without any drivers. I can't believe BlackGold abandoned their products so long ago!

trident01

ok will look soon
it be a silly thing and this is why i hate kernel update and am not surprise server does not support.

blackgold is a small company and it hard for them to support all the diffrent linux is there. you see this problem for lot of big company as well
this is why the driver were release so other people can help and support them

anyway i will look soon just not so well right now from my last round of treatment
thanks
Trident

AndyBurns

Novice Member
I don't understand the first warning and the first error because the include <linux/dvb/dmx.h> on demux.h works, but if I write the struct dms_caps definition on demux.h then no warning is informed
I sent Carl a patch to get over the DMX_GET_CAPS and DMX_SET_SOURCE ioctl changes, if it isn't in his git repo, I can send it to you, I'm just about to try to get the code to build against 4.17.2 kernel, see what broke this time :)

trident01

hi Andy your last patch is in the fork not other side plus made it 1.5.0 version as well
think i remove the other driver or meg it all in to one lol

trident01

the fork work with all card
as it the main branch and the missing cxd2837 all in one
i was at one time adding all the small fixed to both branches but think it not worth now as it can all be in the 2837 branch

trident01

arrrrrrr Andy one of you patch did not get put in, so will redo the patch and add
this made the driver for you work with 4.14 and 4.15 kernel

so hope to have done in the next few days

trident01

to all i have update and it has missing patch and compile as well
please give it a try and see if it work for you

not fully test yet but it install

trident01

we have almost have working the driver with latest kernel once working and tested we have up
i will then give you the link to were the drivers are as i have changed my git server

trident01

ok new site is http://git.cblinux.co.uk:5010/Blackgold/BGT3xxx-fork-for-cxd2837

on the newer kernel the driver do work but you have a mix of driver
am looking on how to change the install directory

two problem
1) os like fedora, openmandriva are doing ko.xz driver and mine are just .ko so you will need to move out the ko.xz driver eg. cxd2820r.ko.xz
2) newer kernel we use to put the driver to
/lib/modules/4-14-62/kernel/drivers/media/dvd/frontend
new kernel want
/lib/modules/4-14-62/kernel/drivers/media/dvb-frontend

so for both of these problem you going to move by hand
untill i work out how to make the build file detect the different place or new build file that only for later kernel

ok update if you just move out dvb-frontend and dvb-core then the driver will work
as driver are in dvb

Last edited:

DragonQ

Novice Member
I am curious if anyone is actually using these drivers in a Tvheadend setup. I have an Ubuntu 18.04 LTS host and an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS VM running Tvheadend with my BGT3630. Everything works as expected, except every now and then (maybe once an hour), I get a solid 5-10 minutes of continual continuity errors.

I cannot see anything in any system logs on the host or VM explaining this, CPU and disk usage doesn't look abnormal when the problems occur, and obviously the driver is a prime suspect. Has anyone else seen this before or have advice for what the problem could be?

trident01

not had a report of problem with tvheadend the only problem is when dual tuner on the cxd2837 causing problem
but in your case vm could cause all type of problems then again could be fine
i would try just using the card say ubuntu 16.04 lts and not as a vm
or try the card on ubuntu 18.04 with tvheadend i have test and running for 24 hours with no problems once we found out what broken the driver

AndyBurns

Novice Member
I am curious if anyone is actually using these drivers in a Tvheadend setup.
I was trying to with my 3602, but found it not reliable enough, I've temporarily swapped to a hauppague card which works with tvheadend.

But not giving up, I have put the blackgold in a different machine, so I can try to help building the drivers on newer kernels and improving them ... unfortunately I have had very little time to look at them recently (sorry Carl!)

trident01

3630 and 3602 not the same lol 3630 is single tuner sat and dvb-t using older chips not like the 3602 with new chip on it
good to know you still around Andy and thanks

DragonQ

Novice Member
not had a report of problem with tvheadend the only problem is when dual tuner on the cxd2837 causing problem
but in your case vm could cause all type of problems then again could be fine
i would try just using the card say ubuntu 16.04 lts and not as a vm
or try the card on ubuntu 18.04 with tvheadend i have test and running for 24 hours with no problems once we found out what broken the driver
The VM being a problem is definitely a possibility. The only reason I had to use the VM originally was because of the BGT drivers not supporting newer kernels. Technically I could probably run it on the host machine now that you've updated the drivers but it would be preferable to use a VM because I don't want to update the kernel on my host machine sometime in the future and find my BGT drivers are borked - the other half would not be happy!

I'm certainly willing to try shutting down the VM and running Tvheadend in the host with the same config just to see if that's the cause of the problem. I'm hoping there's some other debug I can do first though.

trident01

dont forget to do the instruction about moving kernel drivers out of the way that stop the card drivers to work.
the rewrite of are driver i hope will use the kernel drivers so less for us to support

plus i do say dont update the kernel any more once you got it working lol
kernel breaking stuff is a pain

DragonQ

Novice Member
I installed Tvheadend, stopped the service, copied the Tvheadend config from the VM to the host, compiled the driver, then symlinked
Code:
/lib/modules/4.15.0-34-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontend
to
Code:
/lib/modules/4.15.0-34-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb-frontend
I then restarted the Tvheadend service but it shows no TV adapters. :(

trident01

you move out dvb-core and dvb-frontend out this are the directory of the kernel driver that stop are driver from working
i would delete them and compile are driver after

DragonQ

Novice Member
After rebooting I got the tuner to show up in the GUI but the card isn't doing anything - the log just keeps saying:
Code:
[WARNING]:subscription: 0001: service instance is bad, reason: No input detected
[WARNING]:subscription: 0001: restarting channel Channel 4 HD
The Tvheadned GUI itself is also horrendously slow whilst it's trying (and failing) to tune. I have deleted everything in /lib/modules/4.15.0-34-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/ and now have two symlinks in here:

Code:
dvb-core -> ../dvb-core/
frontends -> ../dvb-frontends/
Both /lib/modules/4.15.0-34-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb-core/ and /lib/modules/4.15.0-34-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb-frontends/ contain the newly built BGT driver files (according to the timestamps). Have I misunderstood how these dvb directories are supposed to work?

The driver error in the Tvheadend log is:

Code:
linuxdvb: STV090x Multistandard #1 : DVB-S #0 - poll TIMEOUT

Last edited:

trident01

sorry missed this post
i will check on my system the sat part been doing more dvb-t testing that sat as never had report of problems with that

trident01

mmm my sat is working fine
there no need to do symlink you just need to remove the other driver the kernel
seem all work fine for me