Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Building a WMC around a laptop

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Spikeydog, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Spikeydog

Spikeydog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to build a system around my old works (ok to fry he he) laptop (Compaq Evo N410c). I have bought the Grand Ultimate XP Pro PC to TV converter (~£250!) - the desktop picture through scart on the TV is very fuzzy (can only read largest text - is this normal?) and I'm thinking of sending it back and trying a direct cable solution with powerstrip. I had a problem with my graphics drivers and Deksawyer helped me with that - I now have ATI Mobility Radeon version 6.14.10.6436. Then I loaded WMC 2005 OEM (~£70) - after many attempts - upgrade option would not work and I had to make a completely new partition (to avoid creating two operating systems on one partition). You need to boot from cd to get this option. I also had to make an XP SP2 cd to put in the drive when required (I read elsewhere that it was OK to cancel past this step - but it always failed to install if I cancelled). I can post web directions to making the XP SP2 cd if anyone needs it.

Now WMC 2005 reports my graphics card/driver is not supported. I've tried various driver downloads from ATI but none will install. Is there a solution or workaround for this without changing hardware?

What I'm aiming for in the long term to get all the kit (cables, converters, WINTV Nova T usb2, 250GB HD, CD/DVD) built and working around my Evo and then later (when I have saved many pennies) swap the laptop out for, ideally, a Sony S4XP or similar of my own. Anyone else got system based around a laptop - I'd be very interested to hear about it.

John.

2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,286
    Hi,

Well, MCE2005 will only run if software/hardware is supported, here is the list.

Also, when installing you should have 2 discs, when it asks for another disc, put the second one in, then you swap back to the first later on.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  3. Spikeydog

Spikeydog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lisa - my video card is not on the list and I'm hoping there is a workaround to keep me going for a few months.

I do have two WMC 2005 disks but my installation procedure specifically asked for an XP SP2 disk to be inserted into the drive (and then 3 files were missing but the installation seems to be ok).

4. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,286
    Yes, I know - it's a trick question, the other disc would do.