Building a very basic website myself - any recommendations?

goatywoaty

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm looking to create a website myself, i've bought the domain, I have webspace, now I need some kind of software builder to enable me to build a basic website. I did try to use wordpress a while ago but I thought it was rubbish, it was blog orientated but I don't want to create a blog.

I don't have training in any online languages etc hence the need for a website building software.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a building programme that doesn't have monthly fees or loaded with adverts? Maybe just a one off fee?

I don't want ongoing costs for something that I won't really update regularly...

The website is just for information, won't need any merchant services etc.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

GW

I saw that, he asked for tips, which i'd say considering WP is used by what 32% of the www. I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss it & go back & review it.
Totally agree, you don't have to create a blog with it at all. Very easy to create a single page application.

Alternatively just use Notepad++ or Visual Studio code and hyperlink the files together. Heck if it is informational only you can even use MS Office and export it as HTML...

Although saying that, one has to ask the question as to what the point is of a website that doesn't really do anything nor provides anything...

I was going to say Wordpress as well. By far the simplest "out of the box" website builder.

If you're able to write html etc then I'd recommend you try Visual Studio Code or Atom. Atom is probably the easier of the two if you're not doing anything complex.

Thanks guys, I think i'll have to give WP another shot. I do seem to recall trying out templates, but hardly any were for normal websites, and they seemed difficult to modify. It was a while since I tried so i'll give it another spin! :)

Wix isn't any good for me as it's subscription only if you have your own domain name, which is something I want to avoid, thanks anyway

Just tried to log into myvidahost account and found it's expired/it's been merged with some other company.

Any recommendations for cheap/basic hosting that won't skyrocket in price after a year? :D

Just tried to log into myvidahost account and found it's expired/it's been merged with some other company.

Any recommendations for cheap/basic hosting that won't skyrocket in price after a year? :D

GitHub Pages

Bought out by TSO Host. You can log in with your original details at my.tsohost.com

If you're able to write html etc then I'd recommend you try Visual Studio Code or Atom.
OP asks for simple website builder. Reply suggest writing it in html :rotfl:

I wouldn't say html is that easy when you're starting as an absolute beginner.

Yeah I don't think i'd be able to manage it, I only want a basic website, but I don't want it to look cr@p lol.

Github pages look like they don't support WP unfortunately :( Anyone have any other suggestions for decent cheap basic hosting?

Thanks for all the help everyone, appreciate it :)

Thanks guys, I think i'll have to give WP another shot. I do seem to recall trying out templates, but hardly any were for normal websites, and they seemed difficult to modify. It was a while since I tried so i'll give it another spin! :)

Wix isn't any good for me as it's subscription only if you have your own domain name, which is something I want to avoid, thanks anyway
Do think carefully, if your making a basic website for your business, is it worth losing customers over a £4.99 a month subscription.

Basic website v Pro website is a make or break decision by most customers.

Do think carefully, if your making a basic website for your business, is it worth losing customers over a £4.99 a month subscription.

Basic website v Pro website is a make or break decision by most customers.

I do see what you are saying, I guess i'm just wanting to have a play around creating a website for now so i'm a bit loathed to pay out £72 a year (£6 a month) for a website that I won't even update much. It's annoying you can't port a wix website either... It makes it expensive just for essentially hosting

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom