Building a speaker Baffle Wall

Apone

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a 5ft wide brick chimney breast which i want to attach a flat panel on. I also want to then build a false wall 'around' the flat panel so it appears flush.

The plan is that my centre speaker will be mounted inside the chimney breast which will mean i get a hole big enough to house it. I would like the front of the centre speaker to also be flush with the false wall that will surround the TV.

Current kit consists of 3 X MK S150 LCR speakers. My centre MK is the square box version. I have toyed with the idea of inwall or onwall MK S150 to replace the centre but as i already have a speaker, i am thinking it would be a waste to not use it. My concern is the affect of putting the speaker in a chimney breast will have on the sound.

I know THX reccommend a speaker baffle wall in theatres, this ensures the sound is projected 'int'o the theatre, so this logic seems good to me for home cinema as well.

Any ideas plesase on what i would need to build a good baffle wall that would go around the centre speaker and what materials i would need please?:)

For more information on building a wall to house your speakers refer to the Genelec installation document, whilst obviously aimed at there loudspeakers the theory is the same for all. Also gives you an explanation at to why this is a good idea. See here for link.

Simon...

Thanks a lot for the link:thumbsup:

Wow, lots of useful info in there. They mention 'foam' around the speaker. Any idea what 'foam' to use.

I have also seen some people use soft lining which is a similar type of lining that goes into lofts:confused:

Any idea where i can get the foam/lining needed to pack the speaker?

Many Thanks!

Foam is available from most good furniture builders, go for something around the 25-40kg/m2, it needs to be open cell, most foam used in quality furniture is. If you can find a wholesale place they will cut it for you too, foam looks like a massive loaf of bread before its cut! However, its cheaper and can be better to use a wooden frame with glass fibre around. A solid baffle is also an option, make it from something solid so it does not radiate noise and good results can also be had with several acoustic benefits.

Then cover with Cara fabric.

Dupe...

Foam is available from most good furniture builders, go for something around the 25-40kg/m2, it needs to be open cell, most foam used in quality furniture is. If you can find a wholesale place they will cut it for you too, foam looks like a massive loaf of bread before its cut! However, its cheaper and can be better to use a wooden frame with glass fibre around. A solid baffle is also an option, make it from something solid so it does not radiate noise and good results can also be had with several acoustic benefits.

Then cover with Cara fabric.

Dupe...

Thanks for the info:thumbsup:

The solid baffle idea seems interesting.

So are you saying that the speaker sits in the enclosure, the foam is packed around the top/sides/back etc and then have a solid baffle wall covers the rest of the enclosure and all that would be 'visible' is the front of the speaker?

Thanks again!

Yes, basically use a 25mm sheet of MDF with the speakers baffles shape cut out. Mount the speakers flush in the MDF sheet and loose fill the rear with glassfibre to stop standing waves causing issues behind the MDF. The MDF needs to be very heavily braced to stop it radiating, a better solution is to isolate the speakers mechanically from the MDF, not that easy really.

Dupe...

Thanks for the tip Dupe.

I am going to have to look into this a little more i think.

The other thing that just came to mind is that, as the centre speaker will be below the screen, i would also need to angle it up slightly to the listening position as the MK S150 has a very narrow vertical directivity.

Saying that, my version also has a WIDE switch so that may come in handy but i reckon that mode will be more prone to ceiling and floor reflections.

Will have to experiment a little i think:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom