1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a plasma into a wall

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by damolong, Dec 26, 2004.

1. damolong

damolong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen a few screens actually built into (rather than mounted on) a fake wall, and I am interested in doing it. I know ventilation is an issue, but I will make sure there is plenty of space behind for this.

Please can someone tell me if the pana 6 or 7 has a frame around so it will sit nicely in a wall? Alternatively can anyone point me in the right direction for a side/rear picture of the panel?

Thanks

2. damolong

damolong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panny can be BUILT in easily...... all connections on underside and vents at rear and top so Panny wall mount and plenty of space above and some below for cables and you are away..... can build speakers into false wall also.... search the get your plasmas out thread for more pics...

4. invu2day

invu2day

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have a Toshiba 42PW27 which has essentailly the same body frame as a panny 6 and 7. I have built this plasma into a brick wall above the fireplace rather than a fake wall.

I took out one layer of brickwork above the fireplace then rebuilt the brick work and plastered the finish a width of a standard brick behind. A gap of one inch was left around all four edges of the plasma for ventiltaion. You also need this gap to hinge your plasma onto the bracket in the wall. As such I do not know of any frame that will fit nicely around the plasma into the wall. Instead for a flush finish I had a mirror cut as a frame around the plasma so other than the screen no part of the plasma is visible to the eye. All the wires were routed through a pipe drilled into the side of the fireplace leading into a cabinet which houses the amp. I will get back to you in a couple of days with pictures of a front and side profile for veiwing.

5. damolong

damolong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - invu2day - pics would be fab.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I've done this a few times, usually false walls. Try a search, there was a long thread about it 4 months ago, or email me and I'll send you the photos and stuff I sent the last guy. He has just finished, and if we are lucky he will post a photo himself.

7. invu2day

invu2day

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Here are a couple of pics of my plasma monitor built into a brick wall behind a mirror frame.

The first pic is a side profile with the plasma monitor switched off. There is a gap of 10mm between the wall and the mirror frame. Purpose of this was ventilation. All you can see in the mirror frame is a refelection of the rest of the room.

The second pic is a view from the opposite wall. I had the frame cut and finished by a glazer. The sides of the mirror frame are broader than the top and bottom edges for a widescreen look.

Attached Files:

8. LCDRulz

LCDRulz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally stunning job m8.

Just a couple of questions?

How's the mirror hung/attached, what was the approx cost for a glazier to make the frame and finally any problems with the IR receiver on the screen being obscured?

TIA.

Roy

9. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    OMG...that is great.

I guess that's your center speaker above...would look better with a cream coloured grill I think.

Any more pics showing the actual work-in-progess ?

Cheers, Lee