• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Building a new system and need a bit of advice please.

feffers

Standard Member
Hi all,

It's been many years since I built a new system but have decided to bite the bullet and go for it! Its going to be used in the lounge as a media player and gaming system.

Ive decided to go with an Asus M3N-HT DELUXE motherboard running an AMD Phenom 9850 CPU with 4GB Ram and a GeForce 9800GTx+ Graphics card (possibly upgrading to two using SLI in the future). I wasnt sure which Blue Ray drive to go for so am going to opt for the Pioneer BDC-202 as its got some good write ups and is relatively cheap. My intention is to run the non 64bit version of Vista for now but may dual boot further down the line. Oh, and the case is an Antec P182. Ive tried to keep the cooling as quiet as possible.

I am a bit rusty and wondered if someone could clear something up for me.

- I checked the Nvidia website and it says that the 9800GTx+ is HDCP compatible. Is there anything else I need to do to be able to play original BlueRay disks through the above system?

- Whats the best way to get a digital signal from a 9800GTx+ with dual DVI outputs to a 50" Sammy that has HDMI but not DVI connectivity? I couldnt seem to find any "dual DVI to HDMI" leads online. Or do I simply pop an HDMI converter onto the "TV end" of the DVI cable?

- Lastly, does the above setup sound ok? Am I missing anything? I have got this "non credit crunch friendly" purchase past the mrs by selling it as a home Cinema system that the whole family can enjoy so I need to make sure it does the job ;)

Thanks so much for all of your help in advance.

Cheers,

Feffers

Edit: Forgot to say I have a Sony HD Camcorder so will also be ripping from that via Firewire!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom