1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a new PC - what kit?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Brogan, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I've decided to build a new PC rather than try and upgrade my existing one which is over 3 years old now.
    I've seen the sticky thread about HCPC recommended configuration but my requirements are slightly different.

Although I'm not building an HCPC, I would like to use hardware/software that would require no/minimal upgrading if I did decide to go the HCPC route in the future.

So, with that in mind, can anyone recommend a good mobo, CPU, graphics card, sound card and PSU?
    I've already decided on XP PRO as the OS.

I've got an existing floppy, CD drive, DVD drive and 4 HDD that I'm going to re-use and I'm going to get a DVD writer so the mobo needs to have support for at least 7 or 8 devices.
    I currently use a RAID mobo but there seems to be real issues with upgrading to XP PRO as the OS doesn't initially recognise the RAID device so I'd like to avoid RAID for my next system.
    I've got 512 MB ram in this machine so I'll re-use that too - I don't see the need to increase the amount of RAM at this time as it seems to do the job fine.
    I'm going to get a 18/19" TFT/LCD display.

I'd rather get a mobo without any integrated devices (ethernet, modem, etc.) so I can upgrade individual items as and when required.

Finally, is it still cheaper to build a new system using bits purchased from different suppliers or is it cheaper to get a base system from a PC supplier and upgrade it?

Any advice appreciated.