Building a new PC help please?

caoleuk

Standard Member
Hi, I have built my own tower pc'sin the past but to be honest things have moved on quite a bit since my last one.
What I would like to do is get up to date and speed things up a bit, I will start with a blank sheet and would like to stick with a towr cabinet.
First things first what di I use my PC for? It is mainly used for music listenning/recording and ellectronic music making. Also I watch quite a few films and some live TV in amugst this are the odd online pc games and photo editing.
So.... What do I need advice on, bearing in mind I am on a budget (being retired) :)
Motherboard what slots and what prossesor would I need will depend on what is recomended on what follows.
Wich pressesor should I go for?
What RAM and how much?
What kind of vidio drivers?
What HDD (I prefer HDD rather than SST)
And my opperating system would be windows 10.

I know I'm asking a lot but I'm finding that since I have moved house I no longer have the same kind of friendly supprt and Advice that I used to get from my old shopping haunts, they all seem to want to sell me what they need to get rid of. no help at all.
Please be kind to me and give me a hand :)

Carole

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The gaming and potentially the music making are going to be the influential factors, most of the other stuff doesn't require much at a normal home level (they're undemanding enough that even a cheap phone can do them).

What sort of games do you play?

caoleuk

Standard Member
at
The gaming and potentially the music making are going to be the influential factors, most of the other stuff doesn't require much at a normal home level (they're undemanding enough that even a cheap phone can do them).

What sort of games do you play?
the moment we are playing a game called Elvenar it's a bit like civilisation. The music we make on Fruity mainly

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
If it's mostly browser games and similar then I wouldn't bother with a graphics card, just get a CPU with decent integrated graphics. You can always add a card later if you find you need more performance.

I know nothing about music production. If Fruity refers to FL Studio then there's a performance guide here:

Looks like that's not too demanding with CPUs like the 3400G sitting in 'Strong performance' territory for £130. It's worth keeping an eye on the new 4300G/4350G as it comes into stock too, QuietPC have it on pre-order for £170 but it could easily drop to £140 or less.

8GB of memory would do, but it's fairly cheap at the moment so the extra £25 or so for 16GB is reasonable.

Hard drives have nothing to offer except capacity so unless you need lots of terabytes I'd go with an SSD. Prices do tend to go up and down so I don't know which is the current recommended SSD but you're generally looking for the one that's not much more expensive than the cheapest models but offers consistent performance - especially in conditions like being nearly full. Don't worry about peak speed, they're all very fast.

caoleuk

Standard Member
If it's mostly browser games and similar then I wouldn't bother with a graphics card, just get a CPU with decent integrated graphics. You can always add a card later if you find you need more performance.

I know nothing about music production. If Fruity refers to FL Studio then there's a performance guide here:

Looks like that's not too demanding with CPUs like the 3400G sitting in 'Strong performance' territory for £130. It's worth keeping an eye on the new 4300G/4350G as it comes into stock too, QuietPC have it on pre-order for £170 but it could easily drop to £140 or less.

8GB of memory would do, but it's fairly cheap at the moment so the extra £25 or so for 16GB is reasonable.

Hard drives have nothing to offer except capacity so unless you need lots of terabytes I'd go with an SSD. Prices do tend to go up and down so I don't know which is the current recommended SSD but you're generally looking for the one that's not much more expensive than the cheapest models but offers consistent performance - especially in conditions like being nearly full. Don't worry about peak speed, they're all very fast.
Thank you Endless Waves, That looks like a pretty comprehensive list i will go out with a bit more confidence now.
What about a good cleaning program something like clean sweep? I used to be OK before windows 10 but I find the set up quite different now.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Thank you Endless Waves, That looks like a pretty comprehensive list i will go out with a bit more confidence now.
What about a good cleaning program something like clean sweep? I used to be OK before windows 10 but I find the set up quite different now.
The old Norton install tracking software?

There are still such install tracking/uninstaller programs should you want one, although I couldn't recommend anything in particular.

It is worth pointing out that windows does have much better reset/reinstall options build in these days, you can trigger it from control panel rather than having to mess about with CDs, USB drives and so on.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom