1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a new PC for games

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by MartinH32, Sep 25, 2005.

1. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Hi all building a new PC for games and its four years since I built one from scratch - how things move on.

Besides HHD, DVD Roms etc I am putting the following together.

MSI Neo4 Platinum Nforce4 Ultra Motherboard
    AM Athlon 64 3500 Venice
    1 gig PC3200 DDR SDRAM
    Levicom 450w ATX 2.0 PSU
    Sapphire Radion X800gt 256md Graphics

Can anyone see any compatability problems???

Any help or thoughts appreciated.

ta
    :) :lease:

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    It sounds OK to me! I dont know the details of some of the parts you have choosen but it looks fine.

Im also starting to think about building my next PC but ill probably wait for Vista to come out before I do anything.

What I have now will probably last me till then.

3. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Compatibility wise everything should work ok. However, just a few comments on the components:

MSI Neo4 Platinum Nforce4 Ultra Motherboard - OK

AM Athlon 64 3500 Venice - OK

1 gig PC3200 DDR SDRAM - Go for decent brand such as crucial, corsair etc. It doesn't need to be performance RAM.

Levicom 450w ATX 2.0 PSU - Never heard of the it. PSU's are quite important for system reliability / stability. Therefore, go for a good branded unit from the likes of Antec / Enermax / OCZ / Tagan instead.

Sapphire Radion X800gt 256md Graphics - It's an OK card. However, since you mention you're building a gaming PC and I get the feeling you're planning on keeping it for a while (last build 4 years ago), I'm not sure this card will be worthwhile. I'd personally go for a GeForce 6800GT / Radeon X800XL (or higher). Whatever you find to be best value for money - some shops do special offers every now and then. If you're on a budget, then I'd drop to a slower processor (3200+ or something) and spend the extra money on a faster graphics card.

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I'd second these recommendations with the extra push towards going with the 6800gt from Nvidia. Not a fanboy of the big N but it has support for Shader 3 standard which will become the defacto norm in 12 months as against the ATI which only supports shader 2 standard. I know that the ATI can do all and anything the Nvidia can do at the present time but if your keeping it for a while you may as well cover future bases. :)

5. hpoom

hpoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Don't go for any of those others stick with the Levicom. I have use Levicom PSU's in both my PC's in last 2 years ( 350w and 420w ) They are as good is not better then some of the other brands mentioned, if not better. And they are very well priced !!!

Also on the graphics front I can not recomend an ATI card ( the ATI drivers are terrable ) I would go witht he others on here and look at a GeForce ( as good a card as you can get for your money )

6. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Thank you all for your help. All taken on board!! :thumbsup:

7. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I'd also include an X-fi ExtremeMusic in the specs. The X-Fi Fatal1ty has yet to show it can increase frame rates significantly in supported games (only Battlefield 2 so far). And with the ExtremeMusic you get EAX 5 support. A must if you're serious about games. It's well worth the money over an Audigy 2ZS or X-mystique.