Building a New DX11 rig, hows this sound? check specs

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Get a better PSU, I made the mistake of getting a value PSU and while it was cheap at the time it didn't last as long as a Coolermaster or other named brand. You'll thank yourself for it, get a modular too and life in your case will be a lot easier :D

second that, otherwise thats pretty good mix of parts.

not big with intel on amd cpus as i use intel cpu's but rest sounds good.

liamj2003

Standard Member
Get a better PSU, I made the mistake of getting a value PSU and while it was cheap at the time it didn't last as long as a Coolermaster or other named brand. You'll thank yourself for it, get a modular too and life in your case will be a lot easier :D

Whats a modular? and what does it do, can you suggest one for this setup, and what sort of PSU how do I know if one is good or not?, I thought this one was ok.
Thanks
also I can save a bit of money by buying my Windows 7 off ebay, Windows 7 Ultimate £22 delivered! I wanna run in 64bit.

modular means you have to attatch the cables to the psu unit for the internal cables.

its a plug/socket system.

the advantage of this is that you can only plug the cable you need, meaning you don have loads of excess wires inside your pc that you dont use, this in turn increases your air flow and decreases temperature.

i wouldnt buy windows from ebay, there are alot of fraudulent copies on there and the product key has probably already been used.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
modular means you have to attatch the cables to the psu unit for the internal cables.

the advantage of this is that you can only plug the cable you need, meaning you don have loads of excess wires inside your pc that you dont use, this in turn increases your air flow and decreases temperature.

What he said :thumbsup:

i wouldnt buy windows from ebay, there are alot of fraudulent copies on there and the product key has probably already been used.

He's getting his copy from ebuyer :smashin:

still wouldnt trust a £22 copy of windows 7

although it may just be media only and without a product key, check the listing carefully for this information.

liamj2003

Standard Member

Ok so Ive repriced adding the quad core processor, heres the update.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 8MB L3 Cache 125W Retail Box Processor
Manufacturer: AMD
QuickFind Code: 186428 | Mfr part #: HDZ965FBGMBOX
Found in: Processors AMD » AMD AM3 / AM3 Phenom (ebuyer)

Do i need to rethink power or am i still ok with a 550W ATX Silent Neon PSU - 12cm Fan 4x Molex 1x SATA
Do I really need a Modular? and if so what type/which one?
OH! and is my setup a 64bit setup (top of page is my setup)

TOTAL AMOUNT £634.16
cheers

Last edited:

liamj2003

Standard Member
He's getting his copy from ebuyer :smashin:

Actually just the copy I mentioned was "Win7 Ultimate" and was £22 on ebay (Buy it now)(although the one listed and priced is from ebuyer)
Lots of positive feedback on the item over the past week with many available, even one positive feedback says "this is not right" possibly meaning it works fine and is legit but the price says it fell off the back of a lorry, lol

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Do i need to rethink power or am i still ok with a 550W ATX Silent Neon PSU - 12cm Fan 4x Molex 1x SATA
Do I really need a Modular? and if so what type/which one?
OH! and is my setup a 64bit setup (top of page is my setup)

TOTAL AMOUNT £634.16
cheers

It's not so much getting a modular that is important, but getting a reliable name will be a more important part, it's because it's an ebuyer value one that I wouldn't trust it. I'd go for a corsair, thermaltake or similar, value PSUs can work and last long... but it's always a gamble in my view, I'd always pay £40 more for peace of mind.

Actually just the copy I mentioned was "Win7 Ultimate" and was £22 on ebay (Buy it now)(although the one listed and priced is from ebuyer)
Lots of positive feedback on the item over the past week with many available, even one positive feedback says "this is not right" possibly meaning it works fine and is legit but the price says it fell off the back of a lorry, lol

Ahh yes I see now, apologies reeve, you were right :D

You have to still be careful with these, some sellers will sell MSDN or similar codes with MSDN versions of Windows etc... not illegal but it isn't advised.

liamj2003

Standard Member
As a choice what PSU would be better, They are both modular,

Be Quiet Special Edition White 600W E7 Modular PSU
Manufacturer: Be Quiet
QuickFind Code: 206053 | Mfr part #: BN120
Found in: Power Supplies » 501 - 600W PSUs
(£59.99 inc VAT)

Thermaltake 550W Evo Blue Modular PSU - 4x SATA 3x PCI-E
Manufacturer: Thermaltake
QuickFind Code: 202774 | Mfr part #: W0306RU
Found in: Power Supplies » 501 - 600W PSUs
(£59.88 inc VAT)

I like the idea of having a quiet system, so I favor the "Be Quiet" range but dont know how they fair as a brand? also in the reviews for the "Be quiet" just because this PSU is white its half the price of the black one, does that mean Im getting a better brand for my money?

Whats the best one?

Also, 1 more question I feel is important, What would make this PC 3D compatible? when games are made in this format (are they yet?) Many thanks

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom