building a new comp, some questions.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Braedan, Dec 14, 2002.

?
  1. Epox EP-8Kxxx board (list model in post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ASUS board

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Braedan

Braedan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm selling an old 538GB MO external archive unit for $450 to a local guy i know who's big into mass storage. after last night's LANparty and having the slowest machine there (500mhz junkbin, you guys've seen it) i decided i'm gonna use that case to do a basic upgrade:

vid card: MSI GeForce4 Ti4200 128mb AGP8x capable
    mainboard: either Epox EP-8KHA+, Epox EP-8KTA3pro, or ASUS A7V8X?
    proc: either AMD AthlonXP 2100+ or 2400+
    512mb PC2100 or PC2700 DDR (depends on board)
    80gb hard drive (at a later time)

i know i can get the mobo, chip, and ram for like $370 total

but the question is actually about the mobo.

should i go with one of the epox ones (even one not listed above) which has the really cool looking LED diagnostic readout on the board, or should i go with the expensive ASUS board?

obviously please post in the poll.

2. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Never used epox boards but I've had a lot of luck with Asus ones. My vote goes foe asus, but doesn't mean you shouldn't go for epox :)

3. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,874
    If you get the 8KHA+ don't use Crucial RAM. There is a known problem and it fries. I'm upgrading my 8KHA to an 8RDA+ with the nForce 2 chipset. Should have it on Monday.

4. Braedan

Braedan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what on earth is "crucial ram"?

5. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    RAM made by the company Crucial - linked to Micron, though I'm not sure how the RAM differs.

6. Braedan

Braedan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reason i asked was that i've heard this before, it's not just epox mobos having this issue, the ASUS ones also do from some stuff i've heard, especially at the LANparty last night. someone was complaining about it.

i use only micron, toshiba, or samsung ram in my systems, so far i've done well. though i do have 2 sticks of hitachi, and some what the fudge ram...but that stuff's in comps other than the ones i use.

7. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An Asus certainely wouldn't be a bad choice in my experience. My current Asus mobo I can't fault in terms of reliability, comes with extras like USB 2.0 and AGP 8X support and also has other features you wouldn't realise were there - such as the ability to boot from USB devices (e.g pen drives), hardware monitoring from windows of cpu + mobo temps.

Having said that, Asus boards are a bit on the high side in terms of price. If I were to build another pc now, Gigabyte would also be in contention. Features like dual-bios, properly labeled pin-outs etc and curved edges (so it doesn't break when dropped) mean that their boards should be very reliable. They always seem to get good reviews from Tom's Hardware Guide.

Albatron are new so I might be a bit wary of buying until they establish more of a reputation, but they were formed in part from Gigabyte people so some of their design features have been carried over (notably dual-bios).

8. Braedan

Braedan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right now it's looking like an epox mobo. the guy who's buying that unit from me can't field more than 300 (he's retired and on fixed income), so that cuts the mobo a bit if i want a top-end proc.

9. iputerfixer

iputerfixer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd go for the Asus. I have more luck on those boards that any other. And really, they aren't that expensive!

10. Braedan

Braedan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also had good luck with ASUS boards, other than their shoddy IDE controllers. (4 ASUS boards, same problem: I/O/IDE controller assorted failures. Just this week alone from me and my friends.)

And the Epox has one thing the ASUS boards don't have: 6 IDE channels (12 drives), 4 RAID. :D

11. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Another thumbs up for ASUS/AMD/Crucial combo.

:cool: :cool:

12. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Epox gets my vote, good value boards.

13. iputerfixer

iputerfixer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, what did you decide.
    are you gonna go with the junk or the quality?

14. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just built a new system based around an ASUS A7V8X (with FireWire, LAN etc.), with AthlonXP 2100+ CPU and 256Mb of PC2700 DDR RAM from Crucial. Very happy with the performance and stability (running XP Home with SP1). Video card from old PC (GeForce2 MX400) lets the 3dMark score down, but will have to wait until my wife has forgotten about this little lot before I upgrade...

Oh, also bought a new AOpen H600 case to put it all in - Very nicely made and highly recommended.

Super7

15. andybryant

andybryant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never had any problems with crucial ram, and the speed of delivery (+cost) is amazing.

I've just made the jump from Athlon + VIA to Intel + Intel chipset for my HTPC in the quest for ultimate stability & lack of sound issues with Via + Soundblaster.

A.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Have a look here AMD3D my mate is an authour/moderator and some of the test kit he gets is awsome. AMD3D should help you especially if you are thinking of overclocking as I am sure you are.:devil: :D :rolleyes: