Building a home cinema system from scratch- advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sapkan, Aug 25, 2004.

1. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I finally got the cash necessary to get a decent home cinema set-up and I need some advice and suggestions as I am relatively new to this forum and home cinema in general.

Hows this for system?
    Pioneer 814 surround receiver (yamaha 750 a good option but no radio + dunno if I can get it in my country, not heard if pio 914 is coming soon to sub the 912, anyone?)
    Kef Eggs- seven of them
    DVD recorder pioneer DVR-520H
    HDMI pj or plasma - still considering the pluses and minuses of both. plasma would probably be pio not so sure bout the pj maybe sony hs-20 but need to read more, any suggestions welcome
    Samsung DVD player (the one with DVI in order to take advantage of the picture quality)

:lease: help and point out if I am getting something wrong

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Consider going 2nd hand, particularly for electronics. You will get a lot more for your money.

3. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    any thoughts om the hardware I am looking at? anyone

4. Chickster

Chickster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same situation and have had a few demos. Firstly what's your budget? When you say "your country" where is that?
    My choices would be:
    Amp - definitely the Yamaha DSP750. That's the one I'm getting. Was thinking about the Denon2805 but the Yamaha I think is better. Also just had a great review in an AV mag.

Speakers - KEF eggs are good but I thought they had their weaknesses at high volumes. Consider the Canton CD series which I demoed. These were better than the eggs throughout all ranges. They also do packages or mix n match options as you can buy all the speakers individually. See www.canton.de Also just had a great review of the Canton CD1 package this month.

DVD player - if you want excellent picture quality then stick to the Toshiba range. Any of Toshiba's SD 100E, 110E, 200E, 210E or 500E series. If you can still get one the Toshiba SD900E is thought to be the best dvd player made (in reviews).

If you want home cinema then go for a projector. For DLP then Infocus 4805 or 5700 if you can afford it (remember the rainbows if you suffer from them). For LCD then Panasonic AE500 (wait for the AE700 if you can), Sanyo Z2, Hitachi TX100. I'm getting AE500 or 700.

Cables - all the ones by Mark Grant are excellent. Look at the Powerbuys forum for details.

5. dartagnain

dartagnain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if your only expecting to use your system for movies i would consider that the kef do a fine job, and would pair'em up with a yamaha receiver...for a dvd I would take a look the pioneer range..excelent sound and vision

between the projector or plasma...if you have an extra tv i'd go for the projector otherwise a plasma sounds good.

the infocus screenplay 4805 would be a good choice

6. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or possibly even the infocus X1 given its performance and excellent price point, otherwise the Sanyo PLV-Z2 seems to be the pick at entry level PJs...

7. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    what about the pio 814 any experience with it? i think its a relatively new amp

8. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    push the boundaries on the dvd recorder and wait for the dvr920 it's a bit steep @ £1300 but will give you 250 GB HDD (over 3x that in 520) and HDMI so no need for second dvd player.
    814 is a really good amp for the money, if only for it's impressive feature list and still having a reasonable sound.

9. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thanx for the info bobbypunk, not much info on this forum regarding the 814. I want to know how it compares to the yamaha750 and the 2805. Will do a search for the 920 recorder sounds tasty.

This might be old news but found this today PIONEER PDP-435HDE and PIONEER PDP-505HDE. Pioneer's 5th gen plasmas are coming out soon having won the 04-05 EISAs.
    7 billion colours, stunning picture etc. etc.

http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/product_detail.jsp?product_id=8929&taxonomy_id=62-63