Building a HD HTPC

Steve.J.Davies said:
Have just scanned the contents but looked reasonable at first glance. Of course its USA based....
http://www.firingsquad.com/print_article.asp?current_section=Hardware&fs_article_id=1694
That's a fantastic article that ought to be compulsory reading for anyone considering HD HC. It covered the important areas in depth, while still explaining everything in a comprehensible way.

Shame there wasn't much of a conclusion though. Maybe it's work in progress, but it would have been good to get some feedback on the performance and usability of the end product. And a comparison of the HD HTPC with the Algolith Dragonfly would be fascinating.

There was an interesting comparison between HQV and VSX technologies. Most people have considered them comparable, but here is a credible and justified analysis that does actually come down in favour of one over the other.

The other interesting thing from my point of view is that the contention that the 7800GTX is considered powerful enough for the video holly grail: to perform per-pixel motion adaptive de-interlacing of 1080i video. I wasn't sure if we were there yet. Strangely no mention of inverse-telecine de-interlacing or 3:2 pulldown, though. Anyway, great stuff.

Nick

welwynnick said:
. Strangely no mention of inverse-telecine de-interlacing or 3:2 pulldown, though. Anyway, great stuff.

Nick

Which is a major failing for an article concerned with 1080i 60Hz material.

Hopefully if we ever concern ourselves with a HTPC that handles hidef 50 Hz formats all this bumph will be unecessary ...all we need is a simple weave deinterlace assuming movies will be either be 1080i or 720p and we won't have anything thats actually shot in fields. "Video" material being 720p at 50Hz.

Hopefully we won't have any 1080i field based material at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom