Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Building a HCPC this weekend

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Solarfish, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Solarfish

Solarfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just received all the components for my HCPC build this weekend and thought I'd check here to see if anyone has made a similar machine.

The case is the Accent HT-100s which I think looks pretty smart (mine is the silver single bay version). I have also gone for the VFD display and IR remote kit also on that page.

I will be using a SilentDrive enclosure to house the hard disk. Also the ATX Ultraquiet PSU.

The motherboard is the ABIT NF7-S v2 and it will have a Athlon XP2600+ processor with Zalman Flower CNPS6000-Cu fan for cooling.

The graphics card is the Sapphire ATI Radeon 9100 Atlantis 128MB DDR DVI/TV and memory is two sticks of Crucial 256Mb DDR PC2700.

The hard disk and DVD are coming out of existing machines. I also have a digital TV card that I may install. I also have an infrared keyboard that will be used until I get acceptable remote control from a 'standard' remote.

The intention is to hook the system up to my Panasonic plasma and use Powerstrip to give the native resolution. I will use PowerDVD to access full DVD rips from my server over the LAN. Sound will be taken from the SPDIF output on the motherboard to my AV amp.

The eventual aim is a quiet system that can completely replace my DVD player and the DVD disks in the lounge. I have already achieved this with music as all my CDs are ripped to the server and I have no CD player in the AV rack.

The only questions I have at the moment are around the VFD and the remote control. There seems to be very little documentation on either and I wonder if anyone else had experience of the 'Accent' products. The manufacturer is Kanam.

On the software side I will probably install myHTPC and Girder to give me access to all my music and films through an attractive interface.

2. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Smart move on the case, I went for the twin bay one.

Now that quiet understand what the purple and white wire is for, the remote can actually turn the whole pc on, which is great.

Let me know if you get screen insability, i've just snet my 9700 back to scan and am going for the MP modded one with the cooler mod as well.

It'll be a long weekend!!!!!

let us know how it goes

rgds

Nathan

3. bluebaron

bluebaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Solarfish,

I'm looking to do the same. Does the case come with the two USB and one firewire sockets shown on the website? It isn't to clear to me. The Abit MoBo has headers for both. Is that what you're using?

Cheers......Bluebaron